Changes to library charges from 1 April 2019
Please note, that our overdue charge rates have now changed.
Adult books have increased from 28p to 30p per day.
Open Tickets Adult books have increased from 14p to 15p per day.
- Book a computer in a library
- Free Wi-Fi
- Charges for overdue books
- Reminder notifications
- Replacement library cards
- Audio and visual items
- Requested items
- Lost and damaged items
- Fax services
- Library mobile apps
- Microform readers and reader/printers
- Rooms to hire in libraries
- Business research
- Items for sale
- Help with applying for free bus passes for seniors and disabled people
Charges for overdue books per book
- Adult books - 30p per open day (maximum charge after 30 days = £9). Please note that charges for adult books also apply to adult items borrowed on a child or young adult ticket.
- Open Ticket Adult books - 15p per open day (maximum charge after 30 days = £4.50).
- Children's or young adult books if borrowed on an adult card - 10p per open day (maximum charge after 30 days = £3.00).
- Children's or young adult books if borrowed on an open ticket adult card - 5p per open day (maximum charge after 30 days = £1.50).
- Overdue charges are payable on any adult book borrowed on an early years', children's or young adult's tickets
- Overdue charges are not payable on children's or young adult books borrowed on early years', children's or young adult's tickets.
Reminder notification for overdue items
- 1 week overdue - we will send you a free reminder by email if you have given us your current email address.
- 3 weeks overdue - we will send you a free reminder by email or post.
- 6 weeks overdue - we will send you a final reminder and will add a £3 administrative charge to your account. This charge applies to all library members.
eReminders about library loans
We can now send you an eReminder about library loans before they are overdue, three days before your items are due back. This will give you the full details of all the items that are due as well as a quick link to renew them, for which you will need your PIN.
We hope that these reminders are helpful, but please be aware that failure to receive a courtesy email will not oblige your library to waive any overdue charges that you may incur.
Replacement library cards
If you lose your library card, you should let any Surrey library know as soon as possible. We will cancel your card to prevent anyone else from using it. Failure to let us know could result in you incurring additional charges.
When you next visit the library, you will need to bring some proof of identity and we will give you a replacement card.
There is a £2 fee for a replacement card.
Lost or damaged items
If you lose or damage an item that you have borrowed, you will have to pay a charge.
For items in print a full replacement price is listed on the library catalogue. The lost charge will be refunded if the item is returned within 12 months.
For items out of print or where no details are available, the charge is based on the suppliers' average price.
We can send and receive fax messages for you from selected libraries. Please see our: Library fax numbers webpage, for the fax number for the library.
- UK and Eire: £1.60 for first page, £1.10 for other pages
- Europe: £3 for first page, £2 for other pages
- Rest of the world: £4.50 for first page, £2.50 for other pages
- Handling charge including first page: £1.50
- Subsequent pages: 50p each to a maximum of £15
You can log onto the internet using your wi-fi enabled device, such as a laptop, ipad or smart phone.
People who are not library members can use the service for half an hour, and Surrey residents are able to join online.
Most libraries have identified electrical points that can be used for laptops.
Photocopiers are available in many Surrey libraries. They are coin-operated only.
Charges for black and white copies are: 10p for A4 and 20p for A3.
Charges for colour copies are: £1 for A4 and £1.50 for A3.
All libraries have black and white printers, and the following libraries also have colour printers:
- Camberley library
- Caterham Valley library
- Dorking library
- Epsom library
- Ewell library
- Farnham library
- Godalming library
- Guildford library
- Horley library
- Redhill library
- Reigate library
- Staines library
- Walton library
- Woking library
- Bramley community library
The charges for printing are:
- 25p per side for black and white
- £1 per side for colour
Microform readers and reader/printers
Where printers are available printing is charged at £1 per page.
Where booking is advisable please telephone 0300 200 1001.
- Caterham Valley library - microfiche reader and a separate microfilm reader/printer available in local history centre
- Cranleigh library - microfiche and microfilm reader
- Leatherhead library - microfiche reader
- Lingfield library - microfiche and microfilm reader
- Redhill library - microfiche and microfilm reader/printer