- Disabled parking and accessibility at your local library
- Open Ticket Adult
- Libraries services for those who have a visual impairment
- Library services for those with a hearing impairment
- Library computers for users with disabilities
- Library Direct Services - for those unable to visit the library themselves
- Dyslexia support in libraries
- Bookshine and Booktouch packs for babies and pre-schoolers with additional needs
Open Ticket Adult
Our new Open Ticket Adult is for anyone over 18 with a short or long term medical condition that has a substantial and negative effect on their day to day life, affecting their ability to:
- Use the printed book stock
- Choose for themselves when to visit the library
- Borrow and return library items
If you would like to register for Open Ticket, please speak to a member of staff in your local Surrey library.
You can also nominate a named contact to do the following:
- Receive pre-overdue, overdue and request notifications on your behalf.
- Borrow and return items on your behalf.
- Renew or reserve items on your behalf, including online with your PIN.
- Act as a guarantor, responsible for payment of any charges incurred.
Note: you can choose all the above or just the appropriate options.
Open Tickets are also available for children under 18. Ask in your local library or contact email@example.com
Library services for those who have a visual impairment
- Large print books - fiction and non-fiction titles are available for both adults and children.
- Spoken Word/Talking books - CDs are available at most libraries.
- eBooks and eAudiobooks - you can now download these at home for free. The text size of eBooks can be increased.
- Audio Description - some DVDs have this facility, please see individual titles for further information.
- KNFB Reader: this is an app which converts printed text to speech by taking a photograph of the text and reading it aloud. The KNFB Reader app will read any printed text and enables people with a visual impairment, or a print impairment such as dyslexia, to access any printed material in the library. KNFB Reader is available at these libraries: Camberley, Dorking, Egham, Epsom,Farnham, Godalming , Guildford, Oxted, Redhill, Staines, Walton and Woking.
- Assistive Technology - please check what is available.
- Booktouch packs are for visually impaired children. Packs are available for two age ranges, for babies or pre-school age children.
- Giant picture books are available in braille for visually impaired adults and children.
- Braille books for children available to borrow from Surrey Libraries.
If you are interested in any of the above services please contact Surrey Libraries Information Service.
The RNIB library
If you are blind, partially sighted or print disabled then you are eligible to join the library of the Royal National Institute for the Blind. They can supply material in the following formats:
- Spoken word
- Giant print
The RNIB library is free to join and more information can be found by phoning them on 0303 123 9999 or by visiting the RNIB website
Library services for those with a hearing impairment
- All libraries are provided with hearing loops. If you experience any problems in accessing a hearing loop in a library, please contact us.
- Subtitles and closed captioning are available on some DVDs.
- Bookshine packs are for children with an hearing impairment. Packs are available for two age ranges, for babies or pre-school age children.
Hearing Champion Sessions
This free drop-in service for people with NHS hearing aids includes basic maintenance, battery supply, trouble-shooting, cleaning and re-tubing.
Sessions will be held monthly in the following libraries. Please check the individual library page for dates and times:
- Camberley Library events and activities
- Egham Library events and activities
- Godalming Library events and activities
Support from Surrey County Council
Surrey County Council provides information and support on staying independent at home. This includes using equipment and smart technology and where you can access this support to help you in your day-to-day life.