Advice and guidance on looking after your mental health can be found on NHS: Every Mind Matters.
Reading Well from The Reading Agency, highlights books that are not only recommended and endorsed by GPs and other medical professionals, but also those with experience of the conditions or topics covered. Surrey Libraries takes part in all five schemes
Self Help books can be very effective when read on their own, or when used with prescribed medication, counselling or therapy. Reading Well is designed to give practical information and advice while encouraging self-awareness and understanding of individual health issues.
Reading Well provides a comprehensive collection to help readers and their families develop strategies for coping and improve overall health and wellbeing. All of the booklists can be found via the Reading Agency's Reading Well webpages.
- Reading Well books for Children is a new booklist of expert endorsed reading to support children's mental health and wellbeing. The list is targeted at children in Key Stage 2 but includes titles aimed at a wide range of reading levels. The list covers general information and advice about the following: Maintaining good mental health and wellbeing; managing feelings and worries; navigating the world around you, including at school and online; dealing with bereavement and trauma; and support for living well with conditions including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
- Reading well for Teens recommends expert endorsed books about mental health, providing 13 to 18 year olds with advice and information about issues like anxiety, stress and OCD, and difficult experiences like bullying and exams.
- Reading Well for mental health provides information and support for managing common mental health conditions. This includes anxiety and depression; dealing with difficult feelings and experiences, such as anger or bereavement and stories about personal experiences of the conditions covered.f
- Books on Prescription: Dementia provides information and advice about dementia for all those affected by the condition. It suggests books to support living well after diagnosis, practical advice for carers, personal accounts, and ideas for shared therapeutic activities. The books are available in a selection of our libraries.
In addition, we have a Reminiscence Collection which is available for customers to borrow.
- Reading Well: Long Term Conditions. Information and support for people living or caring for someone with a long term health condition. The booklist covers general advice and information about common symptoms and specific conditions such as arthritis, bowel conditions, diabetes, heart disease and stroke. The books have all been recommended by people with lived experience of long term conditions and health professionals.
All schemes are stocked in most of our libraries and can be requested online, please search the online library catalogue for titles of your choice. We also have a selection of the titles available as eBooks.