Surrey libraries are pleased to be offering a programme of events and activities.
- See what events are taking place at your nearest library.
- Summer Reading Challenge.
- Become a culture explorer and collect a culture passport from your library.
- Reading Sparks
- Godalming activity trail
- Living Knowledge Network in Surrey libraries
- Breaking the news exhibition tour
- Virtual storytelling sessions with John Kirk
- Pebble rhymetime
- Digital events and activities
- Learn coding with Kano
- Poetry blog
- Libraries from home for children and young people
- Libraries from home for adults
- Surrey culture and leisure
Reading Sparks is a library led programme, developed by The Reading Agency, that supports engagement with Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) and reading among families, children, and young people. The overall aim of Reading Sparks is to build confidence and engagement with STEM and to demonstrate the role that creative reading and activities can play in sparking engagement with STEM.
Surrey Libraries will be hosting several engaging workshops over the summer holiday aimed at children aged 8 to 11 (plus a responsible adult). We will guide you through a series of fun activities from and inspired by four different themed Reading Sparks boxes (Moon/Animals/Invisible Nature/Simple Machines). Children completing a workshop will receive a CREST Certificate and badge, and will be entered into a prize draw. Tickets will be £3 per family (one child and one adult).
Places will be limited so booking will be necessary.
- Thursday 11 August from 2.30pm at Knaphill Library. Book tickets for Invisible Nature at Knaphill Library.
- Thursday 18 August from 10.30am at Cranleigh library. Book tickets for Invisible Nature at Cranleigh Library.
Moon themed STEM
- Thursday 11 August from 11am at Dorking library. Book tickets for Moon themed STEM at Dorking library.
- Wednesday 17 August from 11am at Leatherhead library. Book tickets for Moon themed STEM at Leatherhead library.
- Saturday 20 August from11am at Bookham library. Book tickets for Moon themed STEM at Bookham library.
- Tuesday 30 August from 2pm at Woking library. Book tickets for Moon themed STEM at Woking library.
- Saturday 3 September from 2.30pm at Woking library. Book tickets for Moon themed STEM at Woking library.
- Monday 15 August from 2pm at Farnham library. Sold out Join the waitlist for Simple Machines at Farnham Library.
- Wednesday 17 August from 2pm at Farnham library. Book tickets for Simple Machines at Farnham Library.
- Tuesday 23 August from 2pm at Woking library. Book tickets for Simple Machines at Woking Library.
- Thursday 25 August from 2.30pm at West Byfleet Library. Book tickets for Simple Machines at West Byfleet Library.
Animal STEM activities
- Thursday 18 August from 11am at Guildford Library. Book tickets for Animal STEM at Guildford Library.
- Thursday 18 August from 2pm at Guildford Library. Book tickets for Animal STEM at Guildford Library.
- Saturday 20 August from 11am at Horsley Library. Book tickets for Animal STEM at Horsley Library.
Virtual storytelling sessions with John Kirk
To celebrate this year's Summer Reading Challenge, Gadgeteers, storyteller John Kirk explores history's brilliantly bonkers, bogus inventions. Get ready for a virtual entertainment experience like no other as scavenger hunting and storytelling collide in a jam-packed session which is fun for all the family. Let your imagination run away with you!
Guaranteed online fun for children 3+ years, tickets are free. Upcoming dates:
- Monday 15 August, We're Going on a Story Hunt! Thneed Two:
- Wednesday 24 August, We're Going on a Story Hunt! Thneed Three:
Please note that the theme for both storytelling sessions on a day will be the same, so we ask you to only book for one session on that date.
Surrey Libraries is working together with 14 other library authorities to bring your family a unique virtual entertainment experience like no other.
Rhymetimes are now running in most libraries. Spaces may be limited and booking may be necessary, please check individual library event pages for details.
Storytimes are currently back up and running in most libraries. Spaces may be limited and booking may be necessary, please check individual library event pages for details.
Digital events and activities
We have a range of events and activities available on our YouTube Channel, from cooking ideas to STEM club, and Lego club and crafts, there's something for everyone. Please see: Surrey libraries YouTube channel.
Tom's Rapid reviews
Tom will be reading out a number of book reviews written by staff or himself to help you find your next read!
- Every Monday on Facebook from 3pm.
Learn coding with Kano
Open the door to coding with Surrey Libraries and iamtheCODE! Start your coding adventure now.
All you need is your library card number, and you can reserve Kano free of charge to collect from your local library!
All our Kanos have been kindly donated by iamtheCODE.