Out Lit - Our LGBT collections
Out Lit is a collection of films and books that celebrates the art, experience and culture of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender population.
Out Lit new and classic fiction
A collection of new and classic fiction including science fiction, comedy and erotica.
Patsy yearns to be reunited with Cicely, her oldest friend and secret lover, but her plans to leave Jamaica do not include her religious mother or even her young daughter, Tru. As Patsy struggles to survive as an undocumented migrant in the New York, Tru grapples with her own questions of identity and sexuality. Can she ever understand, or even forgive, her mother's decision to leave Jamaica?
Subtitled "a story of low self-esteem", Box Hill is a sizzling, sometimes shocking, and strangely tragic love story between two men, set in the gay biker community of the 1970s and 80s.
Out Lit memoirs
The Memoirs collection includes newly published memoirs as well as historical biographies.
Titles recently added
In the Dream House, is Carmen Maria Machado's engrossing and wildly innovative account of a relationship gone bad. Tracing the full arc of a harrowing experience with a charismatic but volatile woman, this is a bold dissection of the mechanisms and cultural representations of psychological abuse. She casts a critical eye over legal proceedings, fairy tales, Star Trek and Disney villains, as well as iconic works of film and fiction, infusing all with her characteristic wit, playfulness and openness.
A raw and heart-wrenching literary memoir about a queer couple's attempt to adopt a child. "But would you take a ginger child?", a social worker asks Patrick Flanery as he and his husband embark on their four-year odyssey of trying to adopt.
Out Lit books for young adults
The Out Lit collection for young adults includes some of the best writers of young adult fiction. This list includes authors such as Meg Rosoff, David Levithan, Julie Anne Peters and many more voices waiting to be discovered.
Out Lit non fiction and guides
The non fiction and guides collection includes guides on parenting for LGBT couples, civil partnerships, law and many titles which explore LGBT culture and history.
LGBT picture books
The LGBT picture book collection features same sex parenting and celebrates children who dare to stand out and be themselves.
Can't find a book that you really think should be included in any of the collections above? Tell us about it via our Library stock suggestion form.
LGBT History in Surrey
Support, information and advice for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender population
- If you, or someone you know are in need of support or advice try local organisation, Outline Surrey, a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, helpline giving support, advice and information in confidence.
- Stonewall - the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender charity.
- The National LGB&T Partnership was established in early 2010, in order reduce health inequalities and challenge homophobia, biphobia and transphobia within public services. The Partnership combines the expertise of ten key LGB&T organisations across England, and works closely with many more.
- TranzWiki is a comprehensive directory of the groups campaigning for, supporting or assisting trans and gender non-conforming individuals.
- The Albert Kennedy Trust supports lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans homeless young people in crisis. Every day they deal with the effects that homelessness can have on young people's lives.
- FFLAG - Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays - national voluntary organisation and charity dedicated to supporting families and their LGBT+ loved ones.