Using online services
We have a number of online services to help you with your homework and reading.
Before you use any of these though, there are a few things you should know!
- Library: Ask us is to help you with questions about your homework.
- When you use our online services, your message will be read by library staff only. No-one else will see it.
- We will never give your email address to anyone else.
- If it will make you feel more comfortable, use a nickname when getting in touch with us.
- Don't forget - always ask your mum, dad or whoever is looking after you, before you use any of our services.
Be Internet Smart
You can do so many great things when you go on the Internet - including contacting us for help with your homework or advice on what great books to read next. But, as with everything, you need to be careful and smart about what you do when you are online.
Always ask your mum, dad or whoever is looking after you before you contact anyone on the Internet and follow the SMART code!
Secret and Safe
Always keep your name, address, phone numbers and passwords secret. If you have to use an online name, make one up!
Don't ever arrange to meet up with someone you have met online - it could be dangerous. If you do, make sure you have a parent or carer with you!
No matter how tempted you may be, never open emails from people you don't know. Junk emails (spam) may contain nasty messages or viruses which could mess up your computer!
Chatting and meeting people online can be fun, but always remember that people might not be who they say they are. Never give out personal information, stick to the public areas of chat rooms and, if you ever feel uncomfortable, GET OUT!
If anything that happens online makes you feel uncomfortable or worried - always tell a parent or carer about it.
Please also see our webpage: Online safety.
Our commitment to your child's safety online
Surrey County Council libraries provide a number of online services for children to support their reading and information needs.
We would like to assure parents and carers that we regard children's privacy and security online as paramount.
- Any personal details that your child supplies, including his/her library card number or email address, are available to our staff only and we do not share such information with any other persons, departments or organisations.
- No third party is able to login to the system and read your child's details.
- We will not use any personal details given to us for any purpose other than that for which they were supplied.
Our services are to provide information help or book and reading ideas for your child and no other discussion will be entered into.