Hold your activity or event in Surrey's countryside

If you want to hold an event or run an activity on any of our Countryside Estate sites, you will need to contact us for permission, this may involve charges. Use the links below to find out about:

How to apply

Before you apply, please make sure you have read the types of events that are permitted on our sites, what you need to know before you book and the things you need to consider.

If you would like to hold an event, run activities or be licenced for providing a service on Surrey's Countryside Estate, please apply using our online form:

Make a countryside booking

You will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Which site you would like to hold your event on: You can find a list of our countryside estate sites here Visiting our countryside estate.
  • Date and time of the event plus additional time required for setting up and taking down.
  • A description of the event or activity you would like to hold: for example; a charity fun run for 200 participants.
  • Proof of Public Liability Insurance: any individual or organisation hosting an event or activity on our estate will need Public Liability Insurance for £10M, anything less than this will be passed to our Insurance team for approval.
  • Risk Assessment: we will need to see a site-specific risk assessment before your event/activity can take place. This will need to consider that you are in the countryside, our sites are accessible to the public, weather and the latest Government guidelines for COVID.
  • Map of requested event / activity location: we require a map of the location showing the area you would like to use, start, finish, check points and the route you wish to use. If relevant, please also indicate where any temporary structures such as gazebo's and portaloos will be sited. You can print a map of any of our countryside sites using our interactive map (Layer: Countryside > Countryside Estate, zoom in to the site location and select Print) or you can print a map from another source (for example Google or Ordnance Survey). You can then manually draw the location of your event on the map, take a photo of it using your preferred device (mobile, tablet) and upload it to your online form when asked to do so.

What you need to know before you book

  • Account set up: When you book your event online, you will be required to create a Surrey County Council account with authentication in order to proceed. Please see How to apply below for further details.
  • Notice required to hold an event: The larger the event the more notice we will require. We advise booking your activity a minimum of 6 weeks notice before it takes place.
  • Fees and Charges: We charge an administration fee to process your application along with a fee depending on the type of event/activity you wish to hold.
  • Insurance: you will need public liability insurance - please see How to apply below for details
  • Filming: If you would like to request permission to film please contact the Surrey Film Office with your requirements.
  • Events and Activities on Public Rights of Way: Public rights of way are accessible to all. You can find out more about the different types of Public Rights of Way and a map of Public Rights of Way in Surrey . We are unable to close public rights of way for events and activities. If you would like to use a public right of way as part of your event please include this on your map and description of your event.

Types of events and activities we permit on our sites

Much of the Countryside Estate is available to hire. We can accommodate a wide variety of events and activities such as:

You can get an idea of the type of events and activities we already host on our sites on our What's on in the countryside page.

Permission required for all events and/or activities

All events require our permission to take place on our sites. Depending on your requirements we will issue you with either a booking agreement, a licence or a permit.

The events or activities we can licence to take place on our sites is dependent on the land designations, other uses of the land and the type and scale of the activity being requested.

Other things to consider

If you want to use a drone

Drones can be disruptive to wildlife and public enjoyment so please contact us if you want to use a drone as part of your request. Permission for drone use is dependent on several factors including the site and time of year.

Barbecues and fires not permitted

Please note that fires and BBQs are not permitted on our sites at any time of year. Fires can spread quickly during dry weather and cause destruction to wildlife and habitats. Find out more about Outdoor Safety from Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.

The Countryside Code

All events, activities and participants must follow The Countryside Code.

Did you find this information helpful?

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.