Please note: When you apply for a van, pickup or trailer waste permit online, you will be asked to read and accept our terms and conditions in order to complete your application.
Van permit terms and conditions
From January 2020, you will be charged a non-refundable fee of £8.50 if you want to use a van, pickup or trailer to take household waste to a permitted community recycling centre (CRC). This is an administrative charge which means we can still allow these vehicles to access our CRCs. Due to this change, all existing permits will expire and you will need to log in to your Surrey account to renew and pay for your van permit.
- The new charge still allows you 12 visits per year, and will be valid for one calendar year (January - December).
- Once a permit has been applied for and the fee paid, the charge will be non-refundable.
- Surrey resident van permits are issued and valid for you to bring in your own personal household waste only.
- You are not allowed to bring household construction waste (including home DIY) in a van, pickup or trailer using a Surrey resident van permit. Please familiarise yourself with our policy before visiting. If you're planning a large DIY project, please consider hiring a skip.
- You must apply for a permit online using a valid email address as this is where your permit number will be sent to.
- If you do not currently have an email account it's quick and easy to apply for one online with a provider of your choice. If you are unable to apply for a permit online for any other reason, please call the contact centre on 03456 009 009 for further guidance.
- You need to be a Surrey resident to apply for a permit and may be required to provide proof of a valid Surrey residential address.
- Business addresses will not be accepted.
- Only one permit will be issued per household and for one specific vehicle (i.e. Vehicle Registration Number).
- If you move house or change your vehicle you need to amend your permit details online by logging back into your Surrey account. If you no longer require the permit, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
- If we receive an application for a permit from a new resident or new owner of a sold vehicle, we reserve the right to expire permits within five working days if we are unable to contact previous residents or owners so that the new application can be processed.
- Should there be any query over residency or ownership of a vehicle, we reserve the right to request proof of either or both. This may be a driving licence, a council tax bill, a recent utility bill or a V5 logbook.
- Permits are valid to use at any one of our nine larger CRCs (subject to all of our T&Cs).
- The permit will need to be shown to site staff on arrival, either a paper copy or on a smart phone.
- The permit must match the registration number of the vehicle you have driven to the CRC.
- If you wish to visit one of our sites in a hired vehicle, you will still get 12 visits a year. You will also be required to show your vehicle hire documentation together with proof of residency. An individual hire vehicle permit only lasts for 7 days. Once it has expired you need to add another hire vehicle to your existing account to use your permit again.
- No other third party (e.g. tradesman) should be involved or apply on your behalf.
- Our van permit scheme is not for commercial use.
- Your visit and the type of waste you bring will be recorded.
- Surrey County Council (SCC) may use this information to identify users with commercial waste to prevent abuse of the scheme.
- SCC will not tolerate abuse of its staff or anyone working on SCC's behalf. Your permit and access to services may be withdrawn if you abuse the staff on site.
- We may contact you in order to verify or update your details.
Construction and DIY waste includes, but is not limited to:
- Rubble, bricks and concrete
- Earth, soils including turfs
- Bathroom suites i.e. baths, sinks and toilets
- Fitted kitchen cupboards and wooden/chipboard work surfaces
- Plasterboard and room partitions
- Garden sheds
- Fence panels and posts
- Internal and external doors
- Garden stone (paving and ornamental)
- Fitted units
- Rigid plastic sheeting or roofing
- Roofing materials
- Insulation flooring
How your personal information is used
Please see a link to our Van, pickup or trailer Privacy Notice. It contains important information about your rights regarding how we process, share, and store your personal information.
The information you supply will only be processed for the purposes of the van, pickup or trailer waste permit scheme and information will not be passed to third parties.
A valid email address is required as this is where your permit number will be sent to.
Contact us - it's easiest online
Visit our van, pickup or trailer waste permit webpage:
- For full details of the scheme.
- To pay for a permit.
- For lost/forgotten permit numbers
- To update permit details
Visit on webpage on construction waste (including home DIY), for more information on our policy.
Visit our webpage on business and commercial waste, for details of how to properly dispose of commercial waste and recycling.