- English as an additional language
- Parenting courses
- English courses
- Maths courses
- Cookery courses
- Learners say
- Partnership work
- Contact details
- Next steps and continue your learning
Family Learning courses and workshops are free for parents, carers and grandparents to help you create a better family life.
Do you want to help your child or teenager to improve their behaviour, development and learning? If so, a Family Learning course is for you.
Our tutors are supportive and knowledgeable, and classes are relaxed, informal and delivered online.
The sessions are not recorded as our learning is based on lived experience and we promote confidentiality and safeguarding as core values to our courses. We require you to have your camera on, so you can engage fully in the learning.
You can explore the courses by subject in the sections below and book by clicking on the relevant green 'Enrol on a course' button. Or you can get in touch by emailing email@example.com
English as an additional language
Are you new to the UK or did you go to school in another country? These courses and workshops can help you:
- Understand the education system in England
- Support your child with schoolwork including reading, phonics and maths
- Raise bilingual children
- Practise your English language skills
Read about Zornitsa's learner story.
Do you want to better understand and support your children and teenagers' behaviour, anxiety and mental health? If so, enrol on one of our parenting courses or workshops to impact positively on your family life.
- Support children and teenager's resilience and self- esteem
- Learn about children and teenager's development and strategies to support positive behaviour
- First steps to understanding your neurodivergent child
- Learn strategies to support your anxious child and teenager
If you want to find out more about our parenting courses watch this video.
Are you confused by phonics and grammar? Do you want to develop and support your child's reading and writing skills? If so, enrol on one of our helpful courses or workshops.
- Improve your confidence in supporting your child with reading and writing
- Learn about the different teaching methods used in schools today for Key Stage One and Two
Are you confused by your child's maths homework? If so, enrol on one of our helpful courses or workshops.
- Improve your confidence in supporting your child with maths for Key Stage One and Two
- Learn how your child is taught at school, and how you can support them whilst improving your own maths skills
Do you want to have fun cooking together? Enrol on an interactive, practical cookery workshop or course today.
- Cook together with your child and create healthy meals and treats on a budget
- Improve your family cooking skills and learn how to make healthier choices
"Really useful, simple strategies to cover a range of behaviours given, as well as opportunity to discuss our own personal circumstances and behavioural challenges. Really feel far better equipped to try and improve the behaviour of my children."
"I learnt the five British Valves, the education system, the parent evening, phonics and lots useful websites. I am now able to read English books with my son, or be prepare to read books with him. I found this course really helpful that I can support my son at home, for example to review with him, understanding how is he doing at school, and how the school support my son too."
Family Learning work in partnership with schools, Family Centres, and other family agencies and charities to deliver tailored courses and workshops to meet the needs of Surrey families. Please get in touch if we can help.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 200 1044
- Find Family Learning on Facebook: facebook.com/surreyfamilylearning/
- Follow Family Learning on Twitter: @Surrey_FL
Next steps and continue your learning
When you have completed your course, you may wish to consider taking more Family Learning courses to support you. Talk to your tutor about the opportunities available or look at the courses above for maths, English, parenting and wellbeing.
There are also many other courses available from Surrey Adult Learning that may be of interest.
There are other providers you can contact to help build your knowledge and skills too.