Do something for you in Guildford
Choose from a range of courses and workshops, either in the daytime, evening, or on a Saturday. From creative writing to cooking, sculpture to stained glass and many more, we have something for everyone.
Guildford is our largest centre, sitting in the beautiful historic town of Guildford and offers brilliant views and a café. It has designated rooms to showcase all the wonderful artwork created by learners.
Popular learning facilities
- Our Pottery studios provide a creative space for all, with 8 modern throwing wheels and space for hand building, glazing and surface decoration. The lower level provides space for ample drying shelves, a spray booth and three large kilns all monitored by our in-house technician.
- A large, bright, high ceilinged studio dedicated to the craft of stained glass and glass fusing. With spacious work benches and all the equipment needed to cut, solder, lead, cement and polish including Taurus glass saws, grinders, a light box and a kiln.
- A light and spacious jewellery studio that has 12 individual jeweller benches with the characteristic semi-circle cut out. We have two Flamefast hearths and a variety of small kilns. Specialist equipment such as double and single polishing motors, a guillotine, three pendant motors, a grinder, two rolling mills, are all available as well as essential hand tools needed to assist the learner to complete projects to a professional standard.
- The Art studio benefits from a double height ceiling, large windows and excellent light. There are plenty of easels and a large central space with a dais for life model classes.
- The Sculpture studio has everything learners need to construct three dimensional sculptures from various materials. There is lots of space for individuals to work on pieces of various sizes and a range of professional tools on hand as well as a central space with a dais for the life model.
- Our sewing room is a dedicated space set up with large tables at just the right height for spreading out patterns and pinning and cutting fabric. Additional stations are set up for sitting at our 8 sewing machines. The room has all the equipment needed to complete a variety of sewing based projects.
- The upholstery room provides lots of room for learners to work on a variety of large or small pieces of furniture. Along with all the necessary tools, upholstery trestles are available to assist learners to work on their pieces at a comfortable height. Furniture can be stored securely in the adjacent storage room throughout the duration of the course.
- The Dance studio is perfect for all types of exercise classes such as Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi with full sized ballet bars for our ballet classes, exercise mats and gym balls.
- Two fully equipped IT suites support a variety of IT courses. Our large computer room has 15 modern Dell desktop PCs and our Mac Suite has 12 of the latest edition Apple Mac desktop PCs.
- Our specialist classroom supports a variety of crafts including calligraphy, flower arranging and for bookbinding includes all the hand tools and equipment such as presses and guillotines that learners need to develop a variety of bookbinding techniques.
- The Centre has 7 general classrooms all with the latest Smartboard technology.
- The main hall is our largest room and with its exceptional light and airy atmosphere is used for a variety of drawing and painting courses.
- We exhibit the wonderful work of our learners and tutors regularly in our Gallery and participate in the Surrey Open Artists Studio. This large, light and airy space is equipped specifically to hang art and has specialist lighting. We utilise this lovely space as a classroom when not in use for our exhibitions.
- Visit our main reception and browse our learner displays. There are many items from our pottery, sculpture, stained glass and glass fusing learners on display in our cabinets. On our walls we feature posters of exceptional art work from learners and we also have an area where many of our learners have contributed a short biographical summarising their accomplishments on our courses with pictures of their work
Address and parking
Unfortunately, there is no onsite parking available for learners. Parking for Blue Badge holders may be available, however please enquire with the centre prior to the first session each term for availability.
For local parking information, please enquire see Guildford Borough Council's parking web page..
Our popular café opens from 9am to 2.30pm Monday to Friday and serves a delicious range of refreshments including light lunches, shot drink, snacks, cakes and biscuits baked fresh on the premises each morning.
During evenings, weekends and outside of the main term time, vending machines selling hot and cold drinks and snacks are available accepting contactless card payments only.
There is also a cold-water machine available, so please bring your own bottle.
Alternatively, the town centre is a short walk from site.
Accessibility and facilities
- The Centre consists of a number of buildings set on a steep hill between Sydenham and Harvey roads.
- There are disabled parking bays on both of these roads close to the entrances and all classrooms on these levels are accessible to wheelchair users and those with disabilities.
- The main reception has a ramped approach and doors are fully automatic and have sensors to detect when people are approaching.
- In reception there is space in the waiting area for wheelchair users and the café is on this level and fully accessible.
- Inclusive toilets are available on both of these levels.
- Classrooms in the middle of our site are only accessible by walking up or down a hill with a flight of steps.