How to get help from a Digital Buddy
Do you want help using the internet or your iPad, tablet or iPhone? Ask at your nearest library or contact the library service where you can make an appointment with our volunteer Digital Buddy who can offer one to one support.
An initial session lasts half an hour and further appointments can be made as needed.
Could you become a volunteer Digital Buddy?
If you have some spare time and are good with computers and digital devices, you could help other people use them too.
- Find out about becoming a Digital Buddy volunteer.
Our Digital Buddies can:
- Support learners to use computers/laptops independently in the library for the first time – this will cover logging on to the library wifi, booking a library computer, logging on/off.
- Promote the use of library virtual services, including the library Solus app and membership.
- Introduce our online reference pages including daily newspapers, family history websites and Which? Magazine.
- Download ebooks and audiobooks.
- Support learners to practice IT skills by introducing them to suitable learning websites.
- Support learners to undertake basic computing tasks including:
- File management – opening, closing, editing, saving and printing files
- Navigating and searching the internet
- Using email and attachments
- Basic use of MS Word
- Storing and organising photographs
- Using Skype and social media
- Online shopping
- Assist with iPads, smart phones and tablets
Our lovely volunteer Digital Buddy at Oxted library, Ian, talks about what the role involves:
Libraries who offer a Digital Buddy service
|Name of library||Days available||Time available|
|Ash Library||Tuesday||10am–12 noon|
|Ashford Library|| Wednesday|
First and third Saturday
|Banstead Library|| Tuesday |
First and fourth Saturday
9.30am–10.30am, 10.30am–11.30an appointment only
|Bookham Library|| Monday|
|Caterham Valley Library||Alternate Tuesdays|
|Dorking Library|| Tuesdays|
|Egham Library|| Tuesday |
|12.30pm–2.30pm (term time only)|
|Esher Library||Tuesday||11am–1pm (term times only, appointment is advisable)|
|Farnham Library|| Thursday|
| 10am–12 noon|
|Frimley Green Library||Friday||10am–12 noon|
|Guildford Library|| Monday|
|Haslemere Library||Wednesday||10am–12 noon|
|Horley Library||Friday||10am–12 noon|
|Leatherhead Library|| Tuesday|
| 10am–12 noon |
|Lingfield Library||By appointment with library staff|
|Molesey Library||By appointment with library staff|
|Oxted Library||Alternate Thursdays||9.45am–12.45pm|
|Redhill Library|| Monday|
| 11am–1pm appointment only|
2pm–4pm drop in session
|Shepperton Library||Tuesday |
Thursday - not available on:1, 8, and 15 August
|Walton Library||Wednesdays||10am-1pm, appointment only|
|Warlingham Library||Alternate Thursdays||2.15pm–4.45pm|
|West Byfleet Library||Friday||2pm–4pm|
|Weybridge Library|| Tuesday|