Government health and welfare support and benefits

Government support

The Government offer a range of benefits depending on your needs. These include Jobseekers allowance, Universal Credit Employment Support Allowance and Child Benefit.

Find out if you can get Government funded benefits and how to claim visit the Benefits calculators.

Cost of Living Support Bill update September 2022

You can find out what financial support is available at Help for households (GOV.UK)

The Government will be providing £15 billion in further financial support for those most in need. Including:

  • Energy Bills Support Scheme: Households in England, Wales and Scotland will receive a £400 discount to help with the cost of their energy bill from October onwards
  • Cost of Living Payment: £650 one-off for those on means tested benefits, payable in two instalments from July £326 and this autumn £324
  • Pensioner Cost of Living Payment: A one-off £300 will be paid with Winter Fuel Payments to all pensioner households across the UK
  • Disability Cost of Living Payment: £150 for those on eligible UK disability benefit from 20 September. Those who had confirmed payment of their disability benefit for 25 May will receive the £150 automatically, with the vast majority to be paid by early October. Visit GOV.UK Disability Cost of Living Payments web pages.
  • Council Tax rebate: In England there's a £150 Council Tax rebate for 80% of households which most households should have already received. If you live in an eligible property and you do not pay your council tax by direct debit, your local council will contact you with details of how to claim.

Support with household finances

Depending on where you live in the UK there are different schemes that could help:

  • Help with bills: such as low-cost internet and phone packages available from providers, hardship schemes from water companies and in the UK Government funded Household Support Fund available from local councils to help with essential costs
  • Help with childcare: £2,000 a year of tax free childcare is available to eligible families to help with the cost of childcare
  • Help with your income: personalised job support is available through Job Help, tax relief and work-related expenses can be claimed from HMRC visit GOV.UK and search "job help".
  • Help with managing finances: Money Helper website offers impartial guidance and a rang of tools to help make your money and pension choices clearer. If you're waiting for your first or next Universal Credit payment or experiencing a change in your income and want to try to keep on top of your outgoings, for example bills, spending or dealing with debts and need more support, the Government's new Money Manager tool can help. Money Helper gives you free, confidential money help that's quick to find, easy to use and backed by government.
  • Social Tariffs: Announced in November 2022 the Government have worked with internet service providers to provide Social Tariffs which are discounted broadband and mobile deals for people on Universal Credit and other benefits. To find out more visit Low cost broadband and mobile phone tariffs (GOV.UK)

Managing Debt

There are a number of local charities available that can give confidential support and advice to anyone worried about loans, credit and debt. Visit the Surrey Information Point Managing Money web pages.

Breathing Space

Gives you temporary protection from most types of debt collection this can be provided while you work with a debt adviser to take action to get on top of your finances. More information on our Breathing Space debt support webpage.

Universal Credit advice

Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs. More information can be found on the Understanding Universal Credit website or you can also call the Universal Credit helpline to get help making your claim online or if you need help applying for an advance payment. Telephone 0800328 5644 or Textphone 0800 328 1344 (open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).