Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, Section 14(1) & (2)
The Surrey County Council
Public Footpath No. 61 (Send)
Temporary Prohibition of Traffic Order 2023
On 14 November 2023 Surrey County Council made a temporary order to prohibit all traffic on foot or by any other means from entering or proceeding along Footpath No. 61 (Send) and No. 42 (Woking), which extends in an northerly then easterly direction, from the southern end of the footbridge over which the footpaths cross the River Wey (Grid Ref: 501559 154550), then in an easterly direction for 50 metres which is marked by a solid bold line on plan no. 3/1/65/H27.
The Order is necessary because the path in question has been undermined by the River Wey resulting in the likelihood of danger to the public, and the footbridge is in an unsafe condition. It will be in operation from 14 November 2023 until 14 May 2023, or until completion of the works, if earlier, and while the relevant notices are displayed. The Secretary of State for Transport can extend that period if required.
The temporary closure will only be in operation when appropriate road traffic signs are displayed on site by the County Council or an authorised person acting on its behalf. Access to properties will not be affected.
The alternative route from the south-western end of the closure will be to:
- Proceed direction along Footpath 42 (Woking).
- Continue along Footpath 42 (Woking) in a westerly direction to its junction with the Wey Navigation towpath.
- Turn right onto the towpath and proceed in a northerly direction to its junction with Footpath 43 (Woking).
- Continue along Footpath 43 (Woking) in a northerly direction to its junction with Footpath 55 (Send).
- Continue along Footpath 55 (Send) in a north easterly direction to its junction with Potters Lane.
- Turn right onto Potters Lane and proceed in a southerly direction to its junction with Footpath 60 (Send).
- Turn right onto Footpath 60 (Send) and proceed in a southerly direction to its junction with Church Lane.
- Turn right onto Church Lane and proceed in a westerly direction to its junction with Footpath 61 (Send).
- Turn right onto Footpath 61 (Send) and proceed in a north westerly direction to the north-eastern point of the closure.
- From the eastern end of the closure the alternative route will be the reverse of the one described above.
Dated: 17 November 2023
Katie Stewart, Executive Director - Environment, Transport & Infrastructure
Enquiries to: Countryside Access Team, Surrey County Council, Whitebeam Lodge, Merrow Depot, Merrow Lane, Guildford GU4 7BQ.
Tel: 0300 200 1003 or email: email@example.com.
Files available to download
Footpath 61 (Send) temporary closure plan (PDF)
Footpath 61 (Send) temporary closure plan