Skip to main content

Funded early education for two year olds (FEET)

Funded Early Education for Two year olds (FEET) offers eligible families up to 15 hours of funded early education and childcare a week for 38 weeks a year. You can find out if your child can get FEET by checking the financial and automatically funded criteria below.

Financial criteria

If your family receives one of the following benefits then your child may be eligible to claim FEET. Once your child has been agreed for FEET they will continue to be funded even if your family does not meet the criteria at a later date.

Claiming FEET does not affect your benefits, but if you are using the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit you can only claim for any childcare over and above the 15 hours. If you were using the childcare element before claiming FEET and you do not change your hours you may need to contact HMRC so they can adjust their payments to you. They can be contacted on 0345 300 3900.

Return to top

Automatically funded criteria

If a child is in one of the groups listed below they will automatically be eligible to claim FEET.

Return to top

When can my child get a FEET place?

Eligible children can receive FEET from the start of the funded period following their second birthday. These periods are set by the Department of Education rather than following school term dates.

Child born between Can have a funded place fromYou can apply from
1 January 2017 to 31 March 2017April 2019 (Summer)January 2019
1 April 2017 to 31 August 2017September 2019 (Autumn)April 2019
1 September 2017 to 31 December 2017January 2020 (Spring)September 2019
1 January 2018 to 31 March 2018April 2020 (Summer)January 2020

Your child can continue to receive FEET until the funded period after their third birthday when they will become eligible for Funded early education and childcare for all 3 and 4 year olds.

Return to top

When can my child use the funded hours?

Children are entitled to a maximum of 570 hours per year. These will usually be offered as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks a year. However, the funded hours may only be available within set times and sessions so you will need to speak to the childcare provider to see if the hours they offer suit your needs.

However, you won't be able to:

  • have any time before 6am or after 8pm
  • have a session longer than 10 hours
  • claim more than 15 hours a week
  • claim more than 570 hours per year
  • use the funding at more than two sites in one day

Some childcare providers may be able to stretch the hours throughout the year rather than just during term time so for example you could receive 10.96 hours per week for a maximum of 52 weeks a year. If this would suit you better speak to the childcare provider to see if they are able to offer you a more flexible option.

However, once your child starts at a childcare provider they will have to continue claiming either term time or stretched hours until the funded period after their next birthday to ensure they do not exceed the maximum number of hours. You will be asked to complete and sign a Surrey County Council Declaration form for each funded period stating how you are taking the funded hours.

Return to top

How do I apply?

You do not have to live in Surrey to apply but you will need to take your funded hours at a childcare provider in Surrey. If the childcare you use is in a London borough or neighbouring council you will need to contact that area's Family Information Service to apply for the funding.

If you meet the eligibility criteria and are using a Surrey childcare provider you can either apply online through the Funded childcare parent portal or complete a Surrey FEET Application Form (pdf) and send to the following address and not the address on the form:

Consort House
5-7 Queensway

If you do not have access to a printer you can request a copy to be sent to you through our general enquiry form (please put FEET application form in the What is your enquiry? box).

Applications should only be made one term before your child is eligible for funding. When the Finance Team receive your application they will check your eligibility and then write or email you to let you know if you qualify.

Any applications received before one term in advance of funding will be held on file and you will only hear from the Finance Team at the beginning of the term your child turns two.

Once your eligibility has been confirmed you can continue to receive the funding even if your circumstances change and you no longer meet the qualifying criteria.

Return to top

Whose details should go into the 'Supporter details' section of the application form?

If you are completing the form yourself you can leave this section blank or put a line through it as it will not be relevant to you. If someone is helping you to fill in the form then this is where their details would go.

Return to top

I have already been approved for FEET but have lost my confirmation letter or message?

If you've received a letter or message confirming you are eligible for FEET funding this term, your details will also have been added to Surrey's Funded Early Education Portal. Your chosen childcare provider can use this portal to check that you qualify for FEET without needing to see a copy of your letter or message. You just need to agree to the search permission on the Funded Early Education Registration form and they will be able to find your FEET ID number by using details like your child's name or date of birth.

Return to top

How can I find a childcare provider offering FEET?

You can find details of childcare providers who offer FEET in Surrey on our Childcare Finder. Just enter your location or postcode and scroll down to select 'Yes' to 'Registered to provide Funded Early Education for Two Year Olds' on the right hand side.

These will include:

Our Choosing childcare booklet has information and advice on how to find and pay for childcare. You might also like to have a look at our At my childminder's photobook for real life snapshots of how children in the care of a childminder might spend their time.

Return to top

Can I move my funded hours to a new childcare provider once a new funded period has started?

You can only move the funded hours to a new childcare provider if:

  • you move house and it's now too far to travel to your current childcare provider
  • you change jobs and the hours your childcare provider offers no longer meet your childcare needs
  • you have stated on your Declaration form, that your child will be leaving during the funded period and you specify the last day that you wish the childcare provider to claim the funded hours for you
  • your childcare provider gets an inadequate outcome in their latest Ofsted inspection
  • your current childcare provider has closed or has been suspended by Ofsted.

Please note: You may still need to give your childcare provider the required notice period stated in your childcare contract with them.

Return to top

Further information

To find out about the potential benefits of accessing FEET watch our short films to hear what other Surrey parents using FEET have to say about it.

Files available to download

  • FEET Application Form (227.9 KB)
    Application form for Funded Early Education for Two year olds (FEET)
  • Provider Agreement 2018-2019 (732.7 KB)
    This document explains the process that childcare providers must follow to be able to claim funded early education for 2, 3 and 4 year olds (including 30 hours funded childcare)