- Enrol for music lessons
- Individual and group music lessons
- Group music lessons
- How much do music lessons cost?
- Pay for your music lessons
Enrol for music lessons
You can enrol online for individual or group music lessons at our music centres or online.
If you are enrolling for online music lessons, please see our guidelines for setting up online music lessons.
Alternatively, you can contact us to request form.
If you enrol for music lessons with Surrey Arts or if you are a member of an ensemble, we have a wide variety of instruments available for you to hire. Please note we do not hire: piano, keyboard or drums.
You can learn to play the following instruments and sing at any level. To find out more about these instruments please see our webpage: instruments for hire.
- Brass - trombone, trumpet, tuba, cornet, French horn, and flugelhorn
- Strings - violin, viola, cello, and double bass
- Woodwind - recorder, clarinet, flute, saxophone, and oboe
- Piano and keyboard
Piano for beginners is an informal course is aimed at beginners and is taught in small groups on digital pianos. You will learn the basics and we will support your learning so that you can progress to playing easy pieces. Once you have mastered the basics you can move on to piano improvers.
Piano for improvers is a course will enable you to build on the skills you have learnt in the beginners group, refine your technique, and broaden your repertoire.
Tuesdays 6pm to 7pm at Woking Youth Arts Centre, Knaphill, Woking.
Acoustic guitar for beginners is an informal course is aimed at absolute beginners. We will take you through the basics and support your learning with tips and techniques, so that you can progress quickly to playing popular songs. In particular, you will learn nine easy first position chords techniques to enable smooth changing between these chords (guide and pivot fingers), three or four easy strumming patterns using down strums, how to hold the pick correctly, a few easy single line riffs and useful tips on good left and right hand technique.
By the end of the course you will be able to play four or five songs, changing chords confidently and methodically, along with four or five easy, famous single line riffs.
The course is fun and relaxed and all we ask is that you bring enthusiasm and a willingness to practise at home. Ideally, you'll have your own acoustic guitar.
Once you have mastered the basics you are welcome to progress to 'guitar improvers'.
Mondays 7pm to 8pm at the Pines, Guildford GU3 3BH.
Tuesdays 7pm to 8pm at Woking Adult Learning Centre.
Acoustic guitar for improvers is a session aimed at those established players who have played a few years and have the skills described in the first session and are looking to take there playing further. This session would take on things from grades 3-5 plus. You will explore slightly more advanced strumming patterns (using up and down strums and easy syncopated rhythms), additional chord types (minor seven, dominant seven and major seven), an introduction to fingerstyle playing, and the opportunity to improvise using the Minor Pentatonic and Minor Blues scale.
You will also learn three or four famous riffs along with a repertoire of well-known songs. These songs can be suggested by the students themselves in collaboration with the tutor.
On completion of the course you will be able to play four or five new songs, with strong technique and confidence. You will also have expanded your chord vocabulary, as well as having started to improvise. There is a lot of flexibility within the course for you to explore the musical style that appeals to you most, be it rock, blues funk, jazz or reggae.
Mondays 8.10pm to 9.10pm at The Pines, Guildford GU3 3BH.
Tuesdays 8.10pm to 9.10pm at Woking Adult Learning Centre.
How much do music lessons cost?
- Autumn term: 12 weeks: week commencing 9 September to week commencing 9 December 2023
- Spring term: 10 weeks: week commencing 6 January to week commencing 23 March 2024
- Summer term 11 weeks: week commencing 15 April to week commencing 8 July 2024 (Monday 8 July week 11)
- £16.10 (Individual, 20 minutes) per lesson
- £23.00 (Individual, 30 minutes) per lesson
- Guitar beginners and intermediate from September 2023 for a term of 12 lessons is £144.
- Piano beginners and intermediate from September 2023 for a term of 12 lessons is £168.
- Singing lessons from September 2021 for a term of 10 lessons is £156
Pay for your music lessons
Once your music lessons have been confirmed, you will receive a booking confirmation. You can pay for your music lessons once you have received your invoice. If you have booked before the start of the term, invoices will be sent prior to music lessons starting.
It is important that you pay this invoice in full within two weeks of receiving it.
You can pay online using a debit or credit card, by logging into your student portal.
Once a course has begun, we will only consider refund requests in exceptional personal or family circumstances. Withdrawals for holidays, loss of interest, new time commitments and similar domestic changes will not qualify for refunds. If you wish to request a refund please contact us.
In certain circumstances, courses may have to be cancelled. The length of each course is based on a minimum number of students enrolled and financial viability of the course. If this is not achieved it may be necessary for us to either:
- Cancel the course before the first class and provide students with a full refund.
- Meet for the first class when students will be given the opportunity to decide whether to shorten the course hours for the same fee, transfer to another course or request a refund of fees.