Surrey Arts is committed to providing high quality instrumental teaching to pupils in Surrey schools and in area and county ensembles
- Are you a dynamic, inspirational instrumental or vocal teacher?
- Are you interested in being part of a large, forward-looking organisation providing high-quality music tuition across Surrey?
We cater for all music education professionals such as instrumental tutors, school teachers, workshop leaders, strategic leaders and community musicians.
Our sessional teachers cover the full range of orchestral and band instruments – strings, woodwind, brass and percussion – as well as piano, singing, recorder, drum kit, keyboard and guitar (classical and rock/pop). Our First Access and whole class tuition is taking place in over 300 schools across the county.
Qualifications and experience
We like tutors who can inspire the next generation of musicians. All tutors must have a recognised music degree or equivalent qualification (music diploma) or equivalent professional experience.
How to apply
Please see the jobs section on the Surrey County Council website for a list of current vacancies. Interviews are held throughout the year.
- All tutors working in Surrey schools are subject to an Enhanced Clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- All our tutors are provided a handbook for Surrey Arts music teachers, which outlines general teaching guidance and professional policies.
Training and support
Do you want to learn more about teaching music? Are you an instrumental tutor or school teacher?
We like our teachers to also be prepared to learn themselves, which is why we provide regular, ongoing training opportunities for the whole team. You will be able to access programmes and opportunities relevant to your needs.
We offer a variety of professional development courses to enhance tutor knowledge. These include regular training events, inset days and conferences. Visit the Surrey Music Hub for information on Surrey tutors, including training, courses and conferences.
Files available to download
- Handbook for Surrey Arts music teachers (645.3 KB)
Details of the practical day-to-day aspects of your teaching role and the policies and procedures you need to be aware of.