Whether you are a beginner or already have some experience of painting and drawing, you will learn the knowledge and skills needed to develop and expand your range of techniques. According to your level, you will develop drawing, painting and design skills, gaining a deeper understanding of the range of techniques and processes. Enjoy the well-being benefits gained through working in a friendly, creative learning environment
What will we cover?
We will cover
- Acrylic Painting techniques
- The use of materials and tools
- The element of drawing in painting
- Sketching outlines
- Direct observation
- Colour mixing
- Tonal values
- Creating texture using paint
- the use of a sketchbook
- Looking at and understanding other artists’ work
Sessions will be taught through demonstrations, class discussion and one to one support. The aim of the course is to develop your confidence in painting whilst having fun unleashing your creativity!
Where this course consists of more than one session you will find you make the most progress if you attend every taught lesson and complete any self-directed study opportunities provided
Who is this course for? Is there anything I need to know before joining?
This course is designed for beginners and improvers. Even if you have never painted before or are just nervous about your ability, you do not need to worry as you will be guided through each step. Those who have already attended a painting course can continue to develop their knowledge and skills through a range of diverse exercises.
As our courses are taught in English, please contact us if you have any concerns about your level of English.
What do I need to bring to the first class? Will there be any extra costs?
• A3 size sketch pad 250 gsm or higher suitable for acrylic painting (mixed media pads have a smooth paper surface which may be preferable to a canvas texture paper surface when learning to paint).
- A set of artist-quality Acrylic Paints including both warm and cool versions of primary colours (packs are often sold this way). OR If buying paints separately then colour recommendations are:
o Ultramarine Blue
o Cerulean Blue
o Cadmium Yellow
o Lemon Yellow
o Cadmium Red
o Alizarin Crimson
o Titanium White
o Ivory Black or Mars Black.
o Yellow Ochre (recommended but optional)
o Raw Umber (recommended but optional)
o Burnt Umber (recommended but optional)
o Paynes Gray (recommended but optional)
These examples cover both warm and cool biased primary colours. It is important to buy artist quality paints from one of the reputable art brands to ensure good pigmentation.
- Artist-quality, soft bristle short-handled paint brushes for acrylics. Round brush with a pointed tip in either a size 5 or 6.
- If you wish to purchase extra brushes then the recommendation is a size 3 and size 0 which are good to have for finer details. A Filbert brush (flat brush with curved edges) in size ½ inch or ¾ inch. Brushes will be discussed in more detail at the first lesson
- Flat palette or old plate (preferably white).
- Water pot/cup
- Kitchen towel sheets
- Pencil, sharpener, soft eraser and a ruler
- Acrylic Paint Flow Enhancer (translucent or transparent liquid).
- Slow Drying Medium/ Acrylic Retarder Gel (transparent gel). Other materials needed during the course will be discussed in advance of the lesson where those materials will be needed. Customer services on 0300 200 1044 can contact the tutor on your behalf if you have any questions about materials for this first session.
What can I do when I finish the course?
In discussion with your tutor, you may like to progress onto further painting or mixed media courses. This tutor’s Powerful Portraits Painting course offers development of the skills learned on this course.
We welcome learners with additional needs and disabilities. When you enrol please let us know if you would like to discuss your extra support needs with a member of the Supported Learning Team who will then contact you as soon as possible. If you are enrolling within 10 days of the course start date, we may not be able to contact you before your first class. Surrey Adult Learning values and supports equality and diversity by promoting fairness and respect at all times.
How to enrol
You can't currently enrol online for this course, so please call 0300 200 1044 to express your interest or to make an enquiry for further information.
Find another course
If this isn't what you're looking for, then we've got plenty more courses to offer!