Our financial package
We offer a financial package of up to £6000 to new permanent qualified frontline case-holding social workers, team managers and Independent Chairs (These are subject to tax and national insurance deductions and paid pro rata if you are part time) :
- An unconsolidated welcome payment of £1,000 with a corresponding retention period of six months;
- A further unconsolidated retention payment of £2,000 on completion of six months service, with a corresponding retention period of twelve months
- A final unconsolidated retention payment of £3,000 on completion of 18 months service with a corresponding retention period of two years.
- Payment will be deducted from the final month salary should the corresponding tie in period not be completed.
Eligible Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSW) become eligible to join the scheme upon completion of their Assisted Supported Year in Employment (ASYE).
Employees need to be working within one of the following eligible service areas in the Children's Social Care teams:
- Targeted Youth Service (TYS)
- Family and Safeguarding Team (FAST)
- Leaving Care
- Looked After Children (LAC)
- Children with Disabilities (CWD)
- Request for Support Team (RST)
- Early Help Hub (EHH)
- Multi-Agency Partnership
- Eligible NQSW become eligible to join the scheme upon completion of their Assisted Supported Year in Employment and you have not received a start-up payment within the last five years.
Who does the scheme not apply to?
- If you are a Social Worker in Children's whose role is not in the eligible teams.
- If you are a Social Worker in the Adult Social Care Directorate.
- If you are an existing employee and had a change of post or qualification (including sponsorship) with assistance received from the Council
- Anyone who has received a start-up/retention payment in a previous social work role within the last five years.
Start-up payment of £2000
This only applies to those Social Workers that are not eligible for the new financial package outlined above.
A start up payment of £2,000 is paid to permanent new starters moving into one of our social work positions (subject to conditions and paid pro rata if part time).
This is paid in two instalments – £1,000 in month one, and £1,000 in month six (subject to tax and national insurance deductions).
If you need to purchase a car, the full £2,000 can be made available in month one.
In order to receive a payment, a social worker must not have received a start-up payment within the last five years.
Quality social work starts with great social workers. That's why we've reviewed our pay and reward package to give you more than ever for the job you do.
Our pay is competitive, and we reward your hard work. For full salary information for individual roles, search our vacancies.
The following salaries are per annum for 2022/2023, based on working 36 hours per week (pro rata if part time):
- ASYE £33,796
- Social Worker £36,282 – £40,146
- Senior Social Worker and Advanced Social Worker
(depending on level of experience)
£41,127 – £45,519
- Team Manager £46,634 – £52,625