We appreciate starting a new business has many pitfalls so we have put together some key information that should help you if you are providing products or a service to customers.
Surrey-i - information for your business:
- Surrey-i - providing you with an insight into the residents, communities and local economy of Surrey to help inform your business planning and development.
Web pages on the Gov.uk website:
- Starting up a business
- Setting Up
- Set up and register as self-employed
- Business finance explained
- Employers preventing discrimination
- Register a business with HMRC
- VAT -getting started
- VAT - How VAT works
Finance and other advice
- New Enterprise Allowance on DWP website - The Government gives extra help to unemployed people who want to start their own business, through the New Enterprise Allowance (NEA).
- Backing Small Business - A government publication to ease the problems of small businesses and to encourage unemployed people to move into self-employment.
- Self Employment advice on Gov.uk - If you want to become self-employed, find out about the free help and support available, and whether you qualify for the New Enterprise Allowance.
- Startups - Build a Better Business - Startups.co.uk is an online resource for starting a business. Whether you are a budding entrepreneur ready to start a business for the first time or you are an established entrepreneur looking to do it a second time, Startups.co.uk have all the news and information you need to get your small business starting on the right foot.
- Starting Your Own Business HMRC e-learning course - Will help answer questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses.
- Becoming an Employer HMRC e-learning course - Will help answer questions about PAYE tax, National Insurance and running a payroll
- The Innovating for Growth: Start-ups programme from the British Library "will give you the insight, skills and support to start and grow your business". A two day programme that includes topics such as raising finance, how to protect your business idea, putting together an effective business plan, plus need to know tips to keep on top of the numbers. You will also get to meet other like-minded entrepreneurs to exchange ideas and gain support. The British library also has a number of resources to help with starting a new business, including databases, publications and industry guides which will provide you with essential information, from competitor analysis to intellectual property basics.
- TechRound is an online magazine that provides news and guides on start-ups, business and technology. The site includes a range of guides which cover a wide variety of topics surrounding running a business