Measures and weights
All goods, whether pre-packed or not, should be of the correct weight or measure stated on the packaging or indicated on the premises.
A complex set of regulations exist designed to ensure that the public and businesses have confidence in their purchases and competition is fair. For further information please take a look at the website for the National Measurement Office.
Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards Service:
- verify that weighing and measuring equipment is initially accurate
- routinely visit businesses checking weighing and measuring equipment
- check products in shops
- investigate complaints of short measure
A weighbridge is a large set of scales, usually mounted permanently on a concrete foundation, that is used to weigh entire rail or road vehicles and their contents. By weighing the vehicle both empty and when loaded, the load carried by the vehicle can be calculated.
Public weighbridge locations
Please note this list of public weighbridges does not constitute any recommendation.
There are currently no public weighbridges in Surrey.
The following weighbridges are located in nearby authorities:
- Solent Body Builders & Repairs, 4 Cockerell Close, Segensworth West, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 5SR
- Longshot Lane Recycling Centre, Longshot Lane, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1RL
- Geo Richardson Ltd, Hurst Works, Cuckfield Road, Goddards Green, Burgess Hill, West Sussex, BN6 9LQ
Visit GOV.UK to find your nearest weighbridge.
- Veolia Environmental Services Waste Disposal Site, Wapseys Wood, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross, SL9 8TF (Tel: 01753 883704)
- Moorleys Farm, Thame Road, Oakley, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP18 9QQ
Public Weighbridge Operator's certificate
To operate a public weighbridge, you must have a certificate of competence issued by our Chief Weights and Measures Inspector and you must have sufficient knowledge for the proper performance of your duties. Find out how to apply for a Public Weighbridge Operator's certificate via our website.