Guildford Register Office, also know as Artington House, offers the following ceremonies:
- Marriage or civil partnership ceremony
- Civil partnership to marriage conversion
- Ceremony to renew your vows
- Naming ceremony
Our interior and grounds
This south-facing house is set in its own grounds in a semi-rural situation on the outskirts of Guildford. The interior of the house still retains some of its original features, including several fireplaces and offers a very desirable ceremony suite.
- Number of rooms: 1
- Capacity: Couple and 48 guests (including children and babies)
- Parking: There is a car park for guests and a further car parking is available on Saturdays at the front of the house.
- Ceremony room: The large ceremony room is furnished in blue and cream Regency style, with beautiful candle and pendant-style chandeliers.
- Ground floor: The ground floor has a general reception area.
- Garden: The garden has a rose arbour, a terrace and stone garden furniture.
- Facilities for people with disabilities are on the ground floor.
- Steps descend to the car park for guests.
History of Artington House
It is one of eight houses built in the early 1860's by Richard Shepard, an insurance broker, on land purchased from William Elkins, a brewer and former three times Mayor of Guildford. It is a fine example of elegant mid-Victorian architecture, complete with gables and wisteria.
A large family home, former tenants have included a Colonel and an Assistant Inspector General of the Royal Irish Constabulary. Surrey County Council acquired Artington House from Miss Marion Shepard on 14 March 1934 for the current use of the Registration Service.