Other types of ceremonies

Information and services

Marriage in a church or other religious building

If you would like a religious marriage ceremony, you can get married in an Anglican Church or any other church or religious building registered for marriage.


For a marriage or civil partnership overseas, you will need to find out what procedures are required by the local authorities in the country you have chosen, in order to ensure your marriage or civil partnership is legal.

Civil partnership to marriage conversion

You are able to convert a civil partnership to a marriage by completing a declaration before a superintendent registrar, with all the required documents.

Urgent Marriage or Civil Partnership

Urgent marriage or civil partnership (Registrar General's Licence) is when the Registrar General can authorise marriages or civil partnerships to take place at short notice in circumstances where one of the parties is seriously ill, not expected to recover and cannot be moved.

Marriage and civil partnership of housebound or detained persons

Under the Marriage and Civil Partnership Act it is possible to hold a marriage or civil partnership in a place where a person is housebound or detained if they are unable to be moved.

Renewal of vows

A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.

Naming ceremony

A naming ceremony is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the birth of a baby or welcome a new child into your family.