You must sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is known as 'giving notice'.
It is a legal requirement to give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony.
You must hold your ceremony within 12 months of giving notice.
This appointment is to complete the legal paperwork only.
Before booking an appointment to give notice
You must read and understand the legal requirements for giving notice. These include details of where and when to give notice, the fees and the documents that you will need to bring with you.
Booking your appointment
If you live in Surrey, you can book an appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership at one of our Register Offices.
Your appointment will last approximately 20 minutes per person.
If there are any language difficulties you must arrange for a suitable interpreter to attend with you.
You cannot make an appointment online if:
- you do not know exactly where you are holding your ceremony
- you are not getting married or forming a civil partnership in England or Wales
- your ceremony is taking place in a religious building (in some cases)
- either of you are not free to marry or form a civil partnership
- both of you will not be resident in England or Wales at the time of giving your notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership
If any of the above apply to you, contact us on: 0300 200 1002 or contact us. Our Ceremonies Team will be able to advise you on any additional requirements and will book your notice appointment for you if possible.
If none of the above apply to you, you can book your appointment online.
Once you have booked your appointment, you can continue to personalise your ceremony.