Safeguarding adults - report abuse or neglect

Many people in Surrey live safely, free from abuse and are able to protect themselves from further risk. However, some people have care and support needs that make it difficult for them to protect themselves from abuse and neglect. In these circumstances they may need help and support to keep themselves safe.

This will include people with disabilities, long-term conditions or those who are frail and need extra support to live independently. Other people at risk of abuse are those with mental health issues, who are homeless, experiencing memory loss, or misuse substances. It also includes people who look after someone else, when the care they provide is unpaid. Safeguarding adults is about protecting those at risk of harm from suffering abuse or neglect.

If you are at risk of abuse or neglect, or you suspect someone else is, please report it now.


Dial 999 for the police

Concerns for an adult

For emergency situations outside our standard lines hours.

  • Telephone: 01483 517 898
  • Email:
  • Textphone (via Relay UK): 18001 01483 517898
  • Text (SMS): 07800000388 (for the deaf or hard of hearing)

Concerns for a child

Concerns of domestic abuse

If you have already been in touch

Please contact your allocated social worker or family support worker directly.

If you wish to report concerns directly to the police, please telephone 101.

What is abuse?

Abuse can take many forms including:

  • Physical abuse - this includes being hit, shaken, kicked, being locked in a room or inappropriate restraint.
  • Sexual abuse - this includes an adult being made to take part in a sexual activity when they have not given, or are not able to give their consent.
  • Psychological abuse - this includes being shouted at, ridiculed or bullied, threatened with harm, blamed or controlled by intimidation or fear.
  • Financial or material abuse - this includes theft, fraud, financial exploitation and pressure in connection with financial matters or misuse of someone else's finances.
  • Neglect - this includes the failure to provide essential care and support needs that results in someone being harmed.
  • Discrimination - this includes ill treatment, harassment, threats or insults due a person's age, gender, sexuality, disability, race or religious belief.
  • Modern slavery - this incudes human trafficking and forced labour.

What happens after you report abuse?

Anyone can refer a safeguarding concern. For example, they might be a friend, family member, carer, a professional working with adults with care and support needs, or someone who thinks they themselves have been abused.

If you suspect abuse reporting it can bring it to an end. It is in everyone's interest to look out for others and protect them from abuse.

When you report abuse we will:

  • listen to you
  • take your concerns seriously
  • respond sensitively
  • consider any immediate danger that the vulnerable adult may be in
  • talk to the police if it is a criminal matter
  • make enquiries about the concerns
  • consider the wishes of the adult at risk
  • develop a plan with the adult that will keep them safe in the future

Action may be taken against the person causing them harm.

Surrey Safeguarding Adults Board (SSAB)

Each local authority must have a Safeguarding Adults Board. It is a multi-agency partnership working alongside statutory and voluntary agencies in Surrey at a strategic level, to ensure the effectiveness of adult safeguarding across the county.

Surrey Safeguarding Adults Board

Surrey Safeguarding Adults good practice guidance

Surrey Adult Social Care are committed to ensuring our staff and our partner agencies have robust tools when raising or responding to safeguarding concerns. This working document sets out what good practice should look like in our safeguarding adults work.

In this section

Did you find this information helpful?

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.