We believe that successful firefighting starts with prevention. So we have introduced a service where we can visit you, a loved one, or someone you care for at home to provide personalised advice about fire safety.
It's totally free, available 24/7, and we will even fit free smoke alarms during the visit if you need them.
How to book
You can book you Safe and Well visit online:
Alternatively you can:
- Call us free on 0800 085 0767
- Text/SMS 07971 691898
On the day
We'll visit your home at the arranged time, day or night, and share our expertise. The visit is friendly and informal, and there's no need to tidy up or provide refreshments we're here to keep you safe, not for the tea! After a chat about fire prevention, we'll ask you to show us around your home so we can provide personalised advice on:
- Cooking and smoking
- Heaters and heating
- Candles and fireplaces
- Detection systems (smoke and heat alarms)
- Bedtime checks
- What to do if there is a fire
- Extra help and support
Depending on your personal circumstances, we might also suggest extra help and support from other organisations. This could be to discuss things like fire retardant bedding or linking a smoke alarm to your Telecare system.
Do you know someone at risk?
We're committed to making sure everyone in our community has the right protection and prevention advice to help them maintain their safety, independence and quality of life. However, the following factors can increase a person's risk and vulnerability to fire, and reduce their ability to escape if a fire starts.
If you know or work directly with anyone who would answer yes to the following statements, please give them our details to arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit. If they would prefer, you can also organise a visit on their behalf.
- Smokes in their home
- Is over the age of 60
- Lives alone
- Has: a) limited mobility, b) a hearing impairment or c) is blind or partially sighted
- Would have difficulty responding to, or escaping from, a fire
- Has had a fire before, or shows signs of burns or scorching in the home
- Has learning disabilities
- Is supported by family, carers and friends
- Has a mental health condition such as dementia or depression
- Has drug or alcohol dependencies
- Doesn't have an alarm in all areas where a fire might start
- Collects or hoards in their home.
Please let us know about your Safe and Well visit
As you have received a Safe and Well visit from us recently, we would appreciate if you could complete this short questionnaire to tell us how we did.