Winter advice 2019-20
Please scroll down or select a link in the index below to jump down to information within this page:
- Your health in winter
- Preparing for ice and snow
- During ice and snow
- After severe winter weather
- Volunteering in winter
- For council staff
- Council services affected by bad weather
1. Your health in winter
- Advice on staying safe and well this winter on Healthy Surrey website
- Advice from the NHS on stay well this winter
- For additional health advice in winter, please see winter health on NHS Choices website.
Looking out for others
If you know of someone who is struggling to cope in winter and needs more help than you are able to offer, please contact us:
- Get help for elderly or vulnerable people at risk in extreme winter weather
- Help for children and families at risk in winter, contact Children's Social Care
2. Preparing for ice and snow
- Preparing your home on Surrey prepared
- Prepare your community on Surrey prepared.
- Advice for businesses on preparing for winter
- Water UK: advice on how to protect your home from freezing water pipes and what to do if a pipe bursts.
Reduce the cost of winter
- Action Surrey: helping homeowner, schools and businesses reduce fuel bills.
- Gov.uk: The Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2017/18 (including links to Cold weather payment and Winter fuel payment).
- Gov.uk: Find energy grants and ways to improve your energy efficiency.
3. During ice and snow
- Services affected by bad weather
- Roads and transport updates
- Information about schools in bad weather
- Can I clear ice and snow without fear of legal action? - There is no law preventing you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your property, pathways to your property or public spaces. For more information see our questions about pavements page.
- Gritting and salting
- Tell us about a highways problem online
- Traffic and travel information
4. After severe winter weather
- If you are struggling to pay your fuel bills on Citizens Advice website
- If your home needs repairs, find an approved trader and avoid rogue traders.
5. Volunteering in winter
- Volunteering during an emergency
- Surrey Fire Volunteer Service
- Red Cross: Volunteering for Emergency Response UK
- Age UK Surrey: Volunteering for Age UK and Befriend in your community
- Councils for Voluntary Service in Surrey
6. For council staff
7. Council services affected by bad weather
If any council services are disrupted by bad weather, please see our updates on the latest situation.
8. Flooding advice
Please see our flooding advice pages for advice to help you prepare for flooding and what to do during and after a flood.