Coronavirus update: All Surrey Heritage in person events cancelled
Based on current Government advice on coronavirus/COVID-19, we regret to inform you that all Surrey Heritage events taking place in person have been cancelled until further notice. Please see below for our online event programme.
Surrey Heritage online activities
Shell-Shock to PTSD: The Role of St Ebba's Hospital in Epsom in the Treatment of Shell-Shock after WW1. By Martin Stilwell
Online talk hosted on Microsoft Teams, Friday 27 November, 3 - 4.30pm
- Thousands of men came through WW1 apparently unscathed, but struggled for years to cope with the mental pressures of everyday life. Called shell-shock at the time, many of them would today be diagnosed with PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Specialist hospitals were set up across the country in the 1920s to provide treatment to help cure these men of their problems; and St Ebba's Hospital in Epsom was at the forefront. Opened in 1903 by the London County Council, the hospital has provided care for 117 years for people with mental and learning difficulties. The talk covers the period 1918-1927 when it was dedicated to the care of ex-servicemen. There will be opportunities for questions after the talk.
- Tickets: £5. Half of the proceeds of this talk will be donated to The Horton Chapel Project.
Please book a place online. We will send full details of how to join the event online following registration.
- This is an online event and will be hosted on Microsoft Teams Live Events which you can access through web browsers like Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Safari is not currently supported. You do not need a Microsoft account to join the event.
Christmas Crafternoon - Fundraiser for Woking MIND
Online event hosted on Microsoft Teams, Wednesday 9 December, 12.30pm - 1.15pm
- We would love you to join us for a virtual festive lunchtime crafternoon on 9 December at 12.30pm to raise money for Woking MIND.
- We will be gathering virtually to make a recycled snowflake garland. We have kept our craft simple so you don't need complicated craft materials and you can join in if you are isolating or are in lockdown. You can make one snowflake or enough for a garland.
- You will need:
Paper (magazine, newspaper or A4 coloured paper).
Stapler or Sellotape
Twig or stick (optional)
- Tickets are free but please book your free place online. We will send full details of how to join the event online following registration. If you are able to make any donation to Woking MIND it would be much appreciated. Places are limited but we will also be sharing the video on our Facebook page.
- This is an online event and will be hosted on Microsoft Teams which you can access through web browsers like Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Safari is not currently supported. You do not need a Microsoft account to join the event.
Make an Egg Box Bug with Surrey Heritage
- Here at Surrey History Centre, we look after old books, newspapers and letters. We have to be careful to look after our collections and make sure no bugs get into our store.
- Discover the ways we do this and get creative with our egg box bug craft video on Exploring Surrey's Past.
Did you know we have a monthly newsletter? Find out the latest news, events and displays taking place at the Surrey History Centre by subscribing to our free newsletter.