What you will need for your visit
Please bring a Surrey County Libraries ticket or a County Archive Research Network (CARN) card to use our collections. If you do not have either of these, bring something official as proof of ID and address, such as a driving licence or bank statement.
Please bring pencils to write with (no pens).
Please bring a 20p piece for a locker to store your belongings, including handbags. For coats there are secure hangers for which you will need a £1 coin. Both coins are returnable.
What you can do at Surrey History Centre
You may access the internet on the Surrey History Centre computers, and Ancestry and Findmypast are available to use free of charge, along with other resources on the Surrey Libraries online reference shelf.
The Genealogist website is available to use free of charge at Surrey History Centre.
You can use our computers to view indexes created by the West Surrey Family History Society, our Surrey tithe records CDs and DVDs and our Surrey-wide database of tithe records, and our Surrey maps, manorial maps and enclosure maps CDs, all free of charge.
You may use your own camera or mobile phone camera for a fee (see table of fees).
Free Wi-Fi is available to use with your laptop, tablet or smart phone.
We have a refreshments room.
You can buy books, maps and cards in the Surrey History Centre foyer.
We have a second-hand book stall in our foyer, with a collection of local and general history books.
- Surrey History Centre opening hours
- How to find Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre access
- The Surrey History Centre building
- The Surrey tapestry
- Surrey in glass
- Archive resources for learning
Files available to download
- Surrey History Centre leaflet (1013.2 KB)
Guide to Surrey History Centre's facilities and visitor information
- Caring for our collection (1.5 MB)
Guide to accessibility and handling of records at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey Heritage Code of Conduct (92.6 KB)
Guide to visitor conduct at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre filming policy and request form (129.6 KB)
Terms and conditions for filming at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey Heritage filming policy and request form - WORD (57.0 KB)
Terms and conditions for filming at Surrey History Centre (Word document version)
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Access and Engagement Policy (190.2 KB)
Guidance on how we seek to provide access to our collections and use them to engage with new and existing audiences
- Surrey History Centre access to records policy (186.5 KB)
Guidance on how we see to ensure public access to the records in our care while respecting the rights of data subjects and regulating access to sensitive information for as long as necessary
- Room Hire at Surrey History Centre (339.2 KB)
Leaflet providing details of room hire at Surrey History Centre