Who can apply?
Parents/guardians of Surrey Arts' pupils can purchase musical instruments free of VAT. The instrument you wish to purchase must be new. You may choose your own supplier.
Advice on a choice of instrument is available from your child's teacher or from Surrey Arts Co-ordinators of strings, brass and woodwind teaching, who can be contacted by telephone: 01483 519298.
To comply with HM Custom and Excise rules, the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The student must be in receipt of music lessons from Surrey Arts
- The student must be a full-time student
- The instrument must be appropriate to the student's needs and ability
- The instrument must be portable
- The instrument must change hands on Surrey Arts premises
This scheme is non-profit making and offered by Surrey Arts as a service.
How to apply?
- Make your choice of instrument by visiting your preferred music shop/supplier and ascertain the price of the instrument, including any carriage/handling charge, and excluding VAT. This scheme is for instruments with a net value of £100 and above.
- Complete the Assisted Instrument Purchasing Scheme application form and we will contact you for payment including a £20 administration charge.
- Once payment has cleared, Surrey Arts will order the instrument.
- Delivery will be to Surrey Arts in Guildford.
- When the Surrey Arts has received the instrument, you will be informed of its availability and a 'handover' date agreed.
- On receipt of the instrument, the parent and a member of Surrey Arts staff, on behalf of the Local Education Authority, will sign a transaction document. Ownership of the instrument will then be transferred to the parent.
- Following transfer of the instrument, all guarantee rights transfer to the parent and subsequent enquiries should be directed to the retail supplier.
Should you require more information regarding the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme or an application form, please contact Surrey Arts on 01483 519298.
Files available to download
- Assistant Purchase Scheme Application Form 2018 (PDF)
The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS) enables pupils of local authority and academy schools to purchase musical instruments through their school net of VAT.