Are you are a teacher, home-educating or have a child that is fascinated with the emergency services? If so, we have lots of activities and resources that share key fire safety messages and support the National Curriculum in a fun, engaging and age-appropriate way.
- Firefighters (activities for 3 to 6 years).
- Crew Commanders (activities for 5 to 8 years)
- Watch Commanders (activities for 6 to 11 years)
Try our activities and join our crew!
Our crews are always learning, training and practising their skills. In every fire engine crew there are two Firefighters, a Crew Commander and a Watch Commander. These jobs all have different roles and responsibilities and they each wear different colour helmets so that it is easy to see what job they do.
Which member of our crew are you today?
We would love to see the results of your hard work. Email your pictures to the Education Officers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Firefighters (activities for 3 to 6 years)
Firefighters train every day to practise the skills they need to do their jobs. They wear yellow helmets.
- Fire engine colouring in (PDF). Nee-naw nee-naw! Colour your own fire engine.
- Firefighter dot-to-dot (PDF). Join the dots to colour in your firefighter.
- Fire engine maze (PDF). Can you find your way out of the fire engine maze?
- Number 9 worksheet (PDF) . Colour, write and count to help you learn the emergency number 999.
- Dress the firefighter (PDF) . Use the description to dress the firefighter in their uniform to keep them safe
Crew Commanders (activities for 5 to 8 years)
Crew Commanders help Watch Commanders to run the crew. They wear a yellow helmet with black stripes.
- Safe to play or stay away poster (PDF). Colour in the common household items and see if they are safe to play or if you should stay away. Can you think of any more items you could add?
- Calling 999 (PDF). A gap fill activity that explains what happens on a 999 call.
- Call 999 colouring in (PDF). Colour in this poster to remember what number that you need to call in an emergency.
- Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999 maze and fire safety quiz (PDF) Find your way through the maze and answer questions about fire escape plans in the quiz.
Watch Commanders (activities for 6 to 11 year olds)
Watch Commanders are in charge of a fire engine. They wear white helmets.
- Test it Tuesday poster (PDF). Use your imagination to design a poster to remind your family to test the smoke alarm every week.
- Fire Triangle quiz (PDF). Put your knowledge to the test!
- Fire-safe bedtime routines (PDF). Learn 10 steps that can help to make a fire-safe bedtime routine.
- What Surrey Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) means to me (PDF). Try your hand at an acrostic poem about the fire service.