We're really excited to have co-designed a list of "Top 10 must do's when working with children and young people with additional needs and disabilities" through the participation group ATLAS. These tips aim to ensure people working with children and young people are understanding and meeting your needs.
Watch the Top 10 must do's when working with children and young people with additional needs and disabilities below:
Here's the list in full:
- Relationships: Treat us with respect and understanding. Get to know and build a relationship with us.
- Honesty: It is important that you are always honest with us.
- Reliability: Follow up on work you have committed to. Let us know if you need to cancel or running late. Don't make promises you can't guarantee.
- Believe: Always believe in us and helps us to achieve our hopes, dreams, and goals.
- Decision: Include us in decision making and keep us updated. Encourage us to take part or join a participation.
- Listen: We are experts by our own experience and diagnosis. Please listen to us and keep us at the heart of everything you do.
- Documents: Make sure our documents are up to date and accessible
- Future: Take time to plan our future with us, build our independence and life skills.
- Individual: Treat as individuals. Communicate in a way that is easy to understand. Give us the opportunity to process information.
- Accessibility: Make sure support is accessible and adapted to us as individuals.
Want to find out more?
Remember you can find out more about ATLAS and our other participation groups or other ways that you can get involved with Surrey Youth Voice below: