Disability support organisations

There are a range of organisations in Surrey which provide support for people with disabilities, help them stay connected and informed on local matters. Wider local support is also available by searching on Surrey Information Point.

If you need to speak to someone about information and support, contact our information and advice service.

Age UK Surrey

Age UK Surrey is an independent local charity, working for all people over the age of 50, and carers, to help them make the most of life. Age UK Surrey aims to see a county where older people live a fulfilled, enjoyable and dignified life, free from isolation, poverty, abuse and discrimination. They run a number of services including Help at Home, Befriending, information and advice support.
They are commissioned by Surrey County Council and the NHS to provide an information and advice service.

Disability Support Groups

Surrey County Council often seeks to involve people who use their services in designing new services, or changing existing ones. There are a number of disability support groups that meet regularly to discuss services and issues of relevance.

First Steps

The First Steps booklet provides useful information about different types of emotional/mental health help and support available locally and nationally.

Sight for Surrey

Sensory Services by Sight for Surrey is the county's largest charity provider of specialist services to people who have a visual impairment, dual sensory loss (Deafblind), are Deaf, deafened or hard of hearing. They are commissioned by Surrey County Council and the NHS to provide a wide range of support, including information about sensory impairment, professional assessment of need, provision of specialist equipment and IT support, communication, mobility and independent life skills rehabilitation training, welfare benefits information and support, social work support for Deaf sign language users, sign language interpreting and communication support and communicator guides/vision impairment specialist support workers.

Stroke Association

The Stroke Association provides support to stroke survivors and their carers in hospital, at home or in residential homes. Their co-ordinators can help to complete forms for blue badges and transport services. They can also provide referrals to other charities and support groups. They also organise stroke clubs where you can meet and socialise with other survivors and their carers.

Surrey Choices

Surrey Choices provide a range of support services to improve the independence, confidence and life skills of people with a range of disabilities and support needs, whatever their age, in their local community.
They are commissioned by Surrey County Council to provide a range of activities, learning and employment support, shared lives and short breaks.

Surrey Coalition of Disabled People

Surrey Coalition of Disabled People campaigns and promote the rights of disabled people to equality of opportunity and to live independently. They run a selection of networks to enable you to have a voice to consult and co-design services.
Surrey County Council commissions Surrey Coalition to engage people with disabilities on local social care and health matters.

Surrey Disabled People's Partnership (SDPP)

SDPP is an independent organisation run and controlled by disabled people. They offer a range of free, independent and confidential services for Surrey residents, including advocacy, support groups, information and brokerage.
Surrey County Council commissions SDPP to provide an independent advocacy service.

Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC)

Surrey Independent Living Council is a voluntary organisation led and run by disabled people. They offer a range of services to help you live independently, whether you receive support from the council, NHS or fund your own care.
Their Independent Living Advisers (ILAs) are available to provide information, advice and help with using direct payments to promote independent living, such as understanding how direct payments work; deciding whether a direct payment is suitable for you; and recruiting and employing a personal assistant to provide your care at home. ILAs can assist in recruiting and employing personal assistants (PAs).

SILC is commissioned by Surrey County Council to provide support to local residents with direct payments and recruiting and employing Personal Assistants.

In this section