Practical support for people with disabilities

There are a number of county wide and local services that offer specialist information, advice and support to adults with learning disabilities, physical, hearing, visual impairments and long term conditions.

Search our online directory – Surrey Information Point – to find services near you or explore the options below.

Advocacy services in Surrey

What is advocacy?

An advocate is someone who can speak up for you. They can help if you face difficulties in being involved in decisions about your care, having your voice heard and normally have no other independent person to help you do so.

An advocate can help you say what you want, secure your rights, represent your interests and obtain services you need.

Advocacy is free, independent and confidential.

How to get support from an advocate

Some advocacy services you can get for yourself, without any help from us, by contacting our local advocacy provider directly. Other advocacy will only be given to you if it is agreed that you are eligible for it.

In Surrey, POhWER provides a range of different advocacy services.

You can contact them in a number of ways:

  • Telephone: 0300 456 2370
  • Text: Send the word 'pohwer' with your name and number to 81025
  • Skype: pohwer.advocacy
  • Email:

If you are a professional wishing to refer a client, please visit: Referrals for Surrey Adult Advocacy Services.

Healthwatch Surrey in partnership with Surrey Independent Living Charity (SILC) can also support you to make a complaint to the NHS if you require an advocate, to make sure you are in control of decisions made about you and your views are heard.

Money matters

There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants (for example, disabled facilities grant and concessions, council tax discounts for disabled people). It's important to make sure that you get all the financial help that you're entitled to.

For information and advice on benefits and related financial matters contact:

Patient passports

  • Easy Read passport - This is a passport for residents with learning disabilities to take into hospital to inform staff about their requirements whilst in hospital.
  • Healthwatch hospital discharge check - A checklist of questions to ask and record information when get ready to leave hospital.


  • Surrey Information Point (SIP) contains details of thousands of services including health, sport and fitness as well as other clubs and services that support people in the local community.
  • Active Surrey works with partners to increase opportunities for disabled people to participate in sport and physical activity. To find out more about what is on offer visit the Active Surrey website

Day centres

There are lots of day centres, groups and clubs across Surrey specifically for disabled people that will give you the chance to get out and about and meet other people. Find details of the day centres near you by searching Surrey Information Point.

Radar Keys/ National Key Scheme

The National Key Scheme (NKS), previously known as the Royal Association for Disability Rights (RADAR) Scheme, provides access to over 9,000 locked disabled public toilets around the UK.

NKS keys cost £5.40, including postage and packing. These can be bought from directly from the Disability Rights UK shop.

A National Key Scheme guide is produced for purchase each year, which lists the location of every NKS toilet on record.

In this section