Young carers

You are a young carer if you are under 18 years and looking after someone who has a long-term illness, disability, mental health condition, or drug or alcohol problem. We can discuss with you and your relative what help you and they might need so that you can have more time for yourself.

The things you have to do at home can have a big impact on the things that are important to growing up: like school work and friendships. However you don't have to struggle to cope on your own.

There are lots of people who can help support you to make time for school work, hobbies or spending time with friends.

If you think you might be a young carer you can:

  • Contact Surrey Young Carers - Surrey Young Carers is an organisation that supports young carers to get the information and advice they need. They can give you someone to talk to and give you opportunities to have fun and make new friends with young people in similar circumstances.
  • Speak to your doctor - If you let your doctor know that you are looking after someone they will be able to support you to get the help you need and may be able to prescribe things like GP carers breaks.
  • Speak to someone you trust at school - Once they understand your situation they will be better able to support you with things like homework or course work or time out of school.
  • We will offer you a young carer's assessment - A carer's assessment is a way for us to find out about the care you give and the support we can offer you and your family. For further information contact Children's Services.

Young Adult Carers

Carers aged 18 to 24 are known as "Young Adult Carers" and support for this group is also available from Action for Carers Surrey. This is to support young people with caring responsibilities in their transition to adulthood.

You can be offered a carers assessment which is available to all carers over the age of 18.

For support for over 18s please contact the Action for Carers Surrey enquiry desk: