Parent carers

A parent carer is entitled to an assessment to find out what help they need and how these needs can be met. This should mean support and help for you as a carer, and recognition of your role in your child's life.

Are you a parent carer for someone under 18 years old?

In the case of parent carers when your child under 18, the assessment is known as a Parent Carers Needs Assessment.

To request a Parent Carer Needs Assessment, you will need to contact the Surrey Children's Single Point of Access (CSPA). Assessments are carried out by social workers from children's services. Action for Carers staff can also advise and support you.

Are you a parent carer for someone over 18 years old?

Parent carers of children over the age of 18, who are now considered adults, have a right to a separate Carers Assessment.

It's important to ensure your needs in relation to employment, training, education, leisure, maintaining relationships, social/ family life are discussed with you and taken into account when planning any package of care for your child, so please draw this to the attention of your social worker.

If you are entitled to social care support, any package of care provided by the local authority should include a break if you have indicated this is something you need.

Being a parent carer can sometimes be a difficult task and the links below provide some further information to help you.

Education advice to parent carers

As many as one in five children may at some time need extra help with their education and they are said to have 'Special Educational Needs'.

Surrey County Council provides many special educational needs services which you may be able to access. There are also other organisations that may be able to give you advice and help regarding the education of your son or daughter:

SEND Advice Surrey

SEND Advice Surrey provide impartial, confidential and free support to empower parents, children and young people to:

  • fully participate in discussions and make informed decisions
  • express their views and wishes about education and future aspirations
  • promote independence and self advocacy
  • develop positive relationships with schools, colleges, universities, the local authority and support services to achieve positive outcomes.
  • Telephone: 01737 737300
  • Email:
  • Address: SEND Advice Surrey. Consort House. 5 to 7 Queensway, Redhill. RH1 1YB
  • Twitter:

Independent Panel of Special Education Advisors (IPSEA)

The Independent Panel of Special Education Advisers helps parents who want second opinions.

To find out more about their services and how to contact then visit the IPSEA website.

Ace Education

Ace Education (formerly Advisory Centre for Education) offers information and advice on all aspects of the maintained education service.

  • Telephone: 0300 0115 142 (Monday to Tuesday from 10am to 1pm. Term time only.)
  • Email:
  • Address: ACE Education. 72 Durnsford Road, London. N11 2EJ