This service is available to you if you have children aged up to three and a half years with significant developmental or other needs. The portage teacher or support worker will work through activities with you, supporting you to help your child's learning and development.
Through the portage service we also provide:
- small group play and language development opportunities for children with Down Syndrome
- specialist programmes for families with a child diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder (as part of the National Autistic Society EarlyBird and EarlyBird Plus programmes)
- the positive play programme for pre-school children aged two and upwards with significant behavioural difficulties.
The positive play programme aims to support parents develop their child's attention, play and listening skills, and their communication and co-operation skills.
Positive play is a bespoke, home-based programme, which lasts around 12 weeks. It will involve weekly visits to your home and to your child's pre-school setting (as appropriate). At each session play and interaction strategies are developed which you can then use with your child at home. Referrals to the programme are made to the portage early education support service by a professional working with you and your child, and are subject to certain criteria.
Here are details of your portage early education support service area teams.
North-east area team (Elmbridge, Epsom and Ewell and Spelthorne)
- Address: Surrey Local Office, Elmbridge Civic Centre, High Street, Esher KT10 9SD
- Tel: 01372 833588
- Fax: 01372 832501
North-west area team (Runnymede, Surrey Heath and Woking)
- Address: Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road, Woking, GU22 9QQ
- Tel: 01483 519148
- Fax: 01483 518105
South-east area team (Mole Valley, Reigate and Banstead and Tandridge)
- Address: Consort House, 5 to 7 Queensway, Redhill RH1 1YB
- Tel: 01737 737777
- Fax: 01737 737227
South-west area team (Guildford and Waverley)
- Address: Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road, Woking GU22 9QQ
- Tel: 01483 517179
- Fax: 01483 517605