Children's Improvement Programme
In Surrey, we aim to ensure children, young people and families receive the right support, at the right time from the right service. This helps families to develop resilience and face future life challenges without the need for extra help.
Our improvement programme for Surrey's children's services started in late-2018 and has led to significant improvements in our services. This can be seen in the recent Children's Services Ofsted report published in March 2022 on the Ofsted website.
Our improvement programme focuses on:
- Everyone knowing how to access help for children and their families.
- Ensuring families can find and access the support that they need.
- Identifying children with who need support early and making sure help is offered as early as possible.
- Supporting parents to ensure their needs are met to help them to focus on the needs of their children.
- Services working together to ensure that families are offered joined-up support that meets their needs.
- Keeping children with their birth family when it is safe to do so.
- Finding stable and safe alternatives where it is not possible for children to stay with their birth family.
- Ensuring practitioners are well trained and have the resources and technology they need.
- Working to have more foster carers of the highest quality.
- Ensuring that money is spent in the right way, with a focus on providing help at the earliest opportunity.
The programme is important to delivering our Community Vision for Surrey in 2030 and focuses on our ambition that children and young people are safe and confident.
The council is also delivering major improvements to our special educational needs and disabilities services (SEND) following a local area SEND inspection by Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in October 2016.
For more information about our improvement programme and plans for the future please view the improvement update reports below:
- Cabinet, March 2019: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, July 2019: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, January 2020: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, June 2020: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, January 2021: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, June 2021: Children's Improvement Update
- Cabinet, December 2021: Children's Improvement Update