We are piloting a scheme which uses motion or temperature sensors and smart plugs to monitor activity in the home.
The data collected from these devices can be used to:
- support people to feel safe
- reassure loved ones
- alert health professionals so they can step in before a crisis.
How does it help?
Watch the videos below to see how technology enabled care is helping people.
Help to get back confidence and independence – Pam's story
Watch Pam's story to see how simple technology and monitoring has helped boost her confidence, regain her independence and given her a new life.
Help to regain independence at home after a fall
See how mother and daughter have benefited from the security and reassurance the technology offers.
How does it work?
We install sensors in your home that collect information about your home and your daily movements.
Over time, they build up a picture of your normal activity levels and create alerts about any changes to routines that might indicate a concern.
This information feeds into a secure dashboard.
How is the dashboard used?
With your consent, trusted family members, friends and health and social care professional staff can log into the dashboard and use the data to check you are OK and are getting the right level of support.
Call handlers at the alarm receiving centre monitor and respond to any alerts triggered by the sensors. They will triage the alerts and respond. Depending on the situation, they may:
- call you to see if everything is ok
- alert someone you have nominated as a key contact
- contact your social care practitioner or emergency services.
Occupational Therapist explains how technology enabled care works
Reablement Occupational Therapist, Louise Carrigan, explains how the technology is used for mother and daughter.
What equipment is used?
- A main hub for sending and receiving data
- Depending on your needs, sensors to monitor:
- Door contacts
- Motion sensors
- Temperature sensors
- Smart plugs attached to electrical items
- A web-based secure monitoring platform.
How will the equipment be installed?
A trusted advisor will visit you at home and discuss the best technology for your situation.
- plug the hub unit into the mains
- attach sensors using sticky pads
- put smart plugs on electrical items, like your kettle or microwave
- check that the sensors are working, and that the hub is receiving the sensor data correctly.
How do I sign up?
You may be offered this service if you are an Adult Social Care client in:
- Epsom and Ewell
- Mole Valley
- Reigate and Banstead
We are working with other district and borough colleagues in Surrey and hope to extend this service to other boroughs by the end of 2022.
Are you eligible for social care?
Depending on your situation, you may qualify for adult care support. Find out more about Adult social care assessments and eligibility.
Who runs this service?
We are working in partnership with Mole Valley District Council to offer this service. It is offered through Mole Valley Life