Being diagnosed with dementia or looking after someone with dementia can be a challenging process to navigate your way through. There are a number of support services available to help assist you throughout this period of time.
Action for Carers
- Action for Carers offers information and support on looking after yourself and caring for someone with dementia.
- Alzheimer's Society's dementia directory provides listings of local support services for people affected by dementia and their carers within England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Dementia support services (Alzheimer's Society) offers by telephone, face to face and online free, personalised help on understanding dementia and coping techniques, finding local support groups and advice on Lasting Power of Attorney.
- Alzheimer's Society Dementia Talking Point online community
- Carers UK Helpline on 0800 808 7777 (freephone)
- Carers UK forum is online community of carers available to Carers UK members 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Dementia First provides day care services in East Surrey for people with a diagnosis of dementia plus an information and support service for carers and family members.
Connect to Support Surrey
- Find services and organisations for someone with dementia on Connect to Support Surrey.
Wellbeing centres offer a variety of support services ranging from information and advice, classes and groups, drop in sessions and exercise classes. The services are aimed at supporting people with memory loss, dementia and associated problems.
- Elmbridge Wellbeing Centre
- Epsom and Ewell Wellbeing Centre
- Mole Valley Wellbeing Centre
- Woking Wellbeing Centre
Need further advice?
If you're looking after someone or have recently been diagnosed with dementia and need support or advice now, you can contact:The Carers Direct helpline:
- Telephone: 0300 123 1053 (open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 11am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday)
Dementia UK's free Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline
- Telephone: 0800 888 6678
- Email: email@example.com
- Staffed by registered nurses and dementia experts (open 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday)
Alzheimer's Society's Dementia Connect support line
- Telephone: 0333 150 3456 (national call rate, open 9am to 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am to 5pm on Thursday and Friday, and 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday)
- Carries out dementia research, answers general questions about dementia and can tell you about how to get involved with research.
- Telephone: 0300 111 5555 (national call rate, open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org