Chargeable waste you can take in vehicles requiring a waste permit

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding types of construction and DIY waste that can be brought to Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) that accept chargeable waste in vans, pickups or trailers with valid permits.

Which types of vans, pickups or trailers can bring chargeable waste to a CRCs?

Any type of vehicle that qualifies to be part of the van, pickup and trailer permit scheme can bring chargeable waste Surrey's Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) that accept chargeable waste (see location of charging waste CRCs) . The vehicle must hold a current permit and still have spare visits available as part of their annual allowance.

Why the permit was introduced

The permit was introduced to ensure that:

  • Only Surrey residents can dispose of their household waste in a van, pickup or trailer at one of the designated community recycling centres.
  • Businesses do not dispose of their waste at community recycling centres as they need to pay for the disposal of commercial waste.
  • Congestion is reduced at our community recycling centres.

Does a visit count against my annual allowance?

Yes, the visit will count in the same way as any other visit to the site with a van, pickup and trailer.

Which new materials can you bring in a van, pickup or trailer?

Permit holders can now bring any materials that are regarded as 'chargeable wastes' at our CRCs if brought in a car. These are inert wastes from home improvement and DIY projects according to the list below, and tyres.

  • Bricks, rocks, stones, cement, concrete and hardcore (rubble)
  • Garden stone and paving, concrete posts, concrete panels and concrete shed
  • Tiles, ceramics (including sinks, toilets and shower trays)
  • Earth, soils including turfs
  • Plasterboard and room partitions
  • Tyres – bicycle tyres accepted free of charge

What about other types of home improvement wastes such as wood?

Unfortunately, the ban on other types of home improvement and DIY waste remains on van, pickup and trailer users.

How should you bring chargeable waste to the CRCs?

Any chargeable waste brought to the site should be in bags. This is partly so that the correct charges can be applied but also to ensure that the vehicle can be unloaded quickly and cleanly. Plasterboard or larger items such as toilets or concrete posts can be brought in as intact rather than bagged. Loose rubble, soil and other similar materials will not be accepted if they are loose as they materials must be carried to a nearby skip and not tipped directly onto the floor.

What happens if you bring a mixed load of home improvement waste?

You will be allowed to dispose of your chargeable waste at the CRCs however you will not be allowed to tip the other materials and will be asked to take them home with you. If you are looking at a home improvement project that will generate a range of waste, then it may be worth considering other disposal routes such as a skip or 'hippo bag'.

What are the costs that are applied to chargeable wastes?

  • 1 bag or part bag (bags no bigger than 50cm x 77cm) costs £4 (including VAT)
  • Larger items that will not fit in a bag cost £4 per item (including VAT)
  • 1 single sheet of plasterboard (max size 1200 x 2400mm costs £12 (including VAT)
  • Whole or part of a tyre costs £5 (including VAT)

Can you bring trade waste to the CRCs now if you pay for it as chargeable waste?

No, van, pickup and trailer permit holders can only bring waste from their own homes to the CRCs. This rule will apply to chargeable waste as well even though they are paying for it. The same checks for trade waste will continue to be used at the sites.

Why aren't you allowed to dispose of other types of DIY waste for example wood, if you have already paid for a permit?

The council is not legally obliged to accept any waste from construction, alteration or repair of homes and gardens at its Community Recycling Centres (CRCs). This includes inert materials such as soil and concrete as well as other construction materials such as wood, plastic and composite materials. Thus the council has the legal power to refuse entry to any of these waste materials at the CRCs.

However, the council has made an exception for this material brought in cars to Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) as the material represents a relatively small quantity.

Unfortunately, this exception does not apply to other types of DIY waste like wood, brought in vans, pickups and trailers as these quantities can be greater and therefore more costly to dispose of, in addition these vehicles are more likely to be associated with trade and business activities making it more difficult to ascertain the true origin of the waste. Please visit our Business and commercial waste page for more information and options on disposing of this waste.

The inclusion of bagged soil and rubble along with chargeable items delivered in vans, pickups and trailers, within the charging scheme, is possible because waste presented in this way is easy to quantify and charge for allowing for the disposal costs to be recovered. Other types, of loose construction/DIY waste materials, that are not currently part of the charging scheme, are more difficult to quantify, and therefore charge for, meaning the cost of disposal cannot be recovered.

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.