This information is for professionals who have direct or indirect involvement with children and young people. This includes those who:
- have direct contact eg; doctors, teachers, youth justice and youth workers, social workers, day nursery staff etc
- work with adults who are parents or care-givers eg; substance misuse workers
- work in the voluntary or private sector.
If you have concerns about a child you can call us on 0300 470 9100 Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Out of these hours call our emergency duty team 01483 517898. In an emergency where you are concerned for the child's immediate safety you should call Surrey Police on 999.
Topics covered are:
- The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub
- The Surrey Safeguarding Children Board (SSCB)
- Child death procedures
- Disabled children
- The Family Group conference
- The Surrey Family Support Programme
- Our Corporate Parenting Board
- Celebration Fund for Looked After Children and Care Leavers
- Surrey Virtual School
- Sexual abuse by children or young people
- Commissioning of children's social care and wellbeing service
- Key forms you may need in your work
- Guidance on children or young people in employment or entertainment
If you work with disabled children and young people there is guidance on safeguarding them (PDF). This should be read with the Surrey Safeguarding Children Board (SSCB) procedures manual and supporting guidance (New external site, June 2016).
The Family Group Conference
If you are involved in a Family Group Conference as a professional, you will need to make a referral and be involved in the next steps, supply information and provide feedback (PDF) after the conference.
If you would like to learn more about the Family Group Conference there are many reference publications (PDF) available to you. If you would like more information on your role in the Family Group Conference, please email: email@example.com or call 01737 733866.
The Surrey Family Support Programme
The Surrey Family Support Programme, which we have built with district and borough councils and Surrey Police, is Surrey's approach to the Government's troubled families programme. By building a Team Around the Family (TAF) we can help them build on their strengths and overcome difficulties. Our programme concentrates on the families who have and can cause many problems in their community. Our leaflet explains the 'whole family' approach (PDF) and how it works.
Contact your local Family Support Team for more information.
Our Corporate Parenting Board
We look after around 800 children and young people in Surrey and want to make sure they have the same opportunities as their peers as they grow up. Our corporate parenting strategy (PDF) explains how we intend to achieve this. The work is co-ordinated and overseen by our corporate parenting board to see that there is good parenting of the children we care for.
Surrey Virtual School
Surrey has a dedicated virtual school website you can refer to for more details.
Sexual abuse by children or young people
Our Assessment Consultation Therapy (ACT) team works with schools, partner agencies and social care professionals – as well as with the children, young people and their parents – to reduce sexual abuse by children and young people.