What's on in Surrey
Looking for things to do in Surrey?
Here is our list of things to do in Surrey, we've also compiled a handy guide to carol concerts and pantos to help you get your Christmas off to a festive start.
- 7 November - 31 January: ‘Fancy a Cuppa?’ Chertsey Museum – Check out the latest exhibition at Chertsey Museum over the festive period. ‘Fancy a Cuppa’ celebrates all things tea. Come and find out more about this quintessentially British drink with displays of ceramics, spoons, tea caddies, and even a nineteenth century tea dress. Admission is free. Find out more about the museum and facilities on the Chertsey Museum website.
- 18 November – 4 March: Turner in Surrey, The Lightbox, Woking – The first time Turners’ paintings of the Surrey landscape have been brought together in an exhibition. The exhibit features pieces on loan from the Tate including ‘Newark Abbey on the Wey’ and ‘View of Richmond Hill and Bridge’. Tickets from £4.50 available from The Lightbox website.
- 21 November – 18 February: Helen Allingham exhibition, Watts Gallery, Compton - The UK's first major public art gallery exhibition devoted to the artist Helen Allingham (1848-1926). Come and find out more about the first woman to be admitted to full membership of the Royal Watercolour Society. The exhibition will be bringing together rarely seen works from private collections together with important paintings from public collections. Get your tickets to the exhibition on the Watts Gallery's website. Tickets start at £9.50, children go free.
- 6 – 18 December: Fostering recruitment events, county-wide – Ever considered fostering but don’t know where to start? Pop along to one of our café drop-in sessions or find out more at one of our December events. For dates and locations please check the Surrey County Council Fostering pages.
- 8 – 17 December: Christmas shopping in Woking - 24 stalls full of Christmas gifts and festive goodies will line the streets surrounding the Christmas tree in Jubilee Square, plus there will be a Santa’s grotto. Entry to the market is free, the Santa’s grotto will be £8.50 per child.
- 9 – 30 December: Winter Wine and Cheese Tasting, Albury Vineyard – Looking for a special tipple for the festive season? Come and sample Albury’s award-winning bubbles, accompanied by a selection of English cheeses. The Saturday sessions are available to book via the Albury Vineyard website. Tickets cost £20 and includes £5 off any purchase made on the day.
- 12 – 16 December: Gift Market, Ewell – Visit Bourne Hall in Ewell to find a range of gift ideas from jewellery, local culinary produce and beauty products. There will also be sand art painting for kids in the lobby. Free entry. 10am – 5pm, with late night shopping on Tuesday 12 December until 7pm and an early close on Saturday 16 December at 4pm.
- 26 December: Ewell St Mary’s Morris Men Traditional Tour of Ewell Village and Mummers’ Play – Come and enjoy a Boxing Day dance with the Morris men of Ewell, who will be visiting most of the pubs in the village. The dancing kicks off at midday outside the Famous Green Man, with the last stop at The Wheatsheaf at 2pm. This will be followed by traditional mid-winter mummers’ play in the yard of the Upper Mill. Any donations collected on the day go to charity. For timings and information visit the Ewell St Mary’s Morris Men website.
- 5 January: Tea with actor and author Hugh Fraser, Walton on Thames – Actor and bestselling author Hugh Fraser invites you to join him at Walton Library as he delves into his novels ‘Harm’ ‘Threat’ and ‘Malice’. Fraser is best known for his television appearances in 'Sharpe', 'The Bretts' and for playing Captain Hastings in the TV series 'Poirot.' Sure to be a fascinating afternoon, the event starts at 2pm and refreshments will be provided. Tickets are £1.00 and are available from Walton, Weybridge and Cobham Libraries. Details of how to locate these branches are available on the Surrey libraries website.
- 16 – 20 January: Noel Coward’s Private Lives, Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford – Cowards’ battle of the sexes comedy set in 1930s France comes to the Yvonne Arnaud as part of the London Classic Theatre group’s new tour. Tickets from £19 available from the Yvonne Arnaud website.
- 16 February: Comedy @ The College, Epsom – ‘Gagging for laughs’ comedy group are coming to Epsom College in February. The group of 3 comedians are bringing their comedy show to Epsom College for one night only, in aid of Age Concern Epsom and Ewell. Earlybird tickets available online via Eventbrite for £16. Doors open at 7.30pm with the comedy kicking off at 8.15pm.
Oh no we didn't! Oh yes we did! - Searching for some seasonal music and theatre events? Don't forget our Christmas guide to carol concerts and pantos in Surrey.