Our Heritage Learning and Communities Officer is happy to answer enquiries from teachers and community group leaders about visits, advice or source packs. INSET training on how to find and use archive sources in the classroom can also be provided. We can offer:
- Advice for teachers on local sources to support classroom projects.
- Exploring Surrey's Past website.
- General topic source packs – including transport, WW1, WW2 and Tudors in Surrey. The packs costs £36 each and are provided on a memory stick for you to keep.
- Surrey local history source packs tailored to your school or community group's needs. Research into the archive will provide a range of local history resources on your area including: old maps, census and old photographs. As these require research time please allow plenty of time before your deadline. The pack costs £56 and is provided on a memory stick for you to keep.
- The March of the Women: Surrey's Road to the Vote – free online learning resources.
- Journey's End: First World War Schools Resource for KS4 English and History, a free online resource based on the archives of Surrey author and playwright, RC Sherriff (1896–1975), whose First World War experiences led him to write the highly successful play Journey's End.
- Historical Food in Surrey, a free online resource pack for Key Stages 1 – 4 using real archive sources.
- Surrey in the Great War, a free online resource for Key Stages 2 and 4 providing free First World War local Surrey information, sources and activities that meet the national curriculum requirements.
- INSET sessions on using documents, maps, census returns and other popular sources.
- Classroom sessions by our Heritage Learning and Communities Officer using copies of local primary sources.
- Small class visits to the Surrey History Centre - please try to contact the Heritage Learning and Communities Officer half a term in advance to arrange a visit.
- Sessions and tours for Brownies, Cubs, Guides, Scouts or youth groups.
AS Level / Undergraduate students
Project on a local topic? We may have information and resources for you.
- Guided tours and group visits to the Surrey History Centre.
- Appointments for students who would like special help with A-Level studies or theses, to advise on the sources which might be available in the Surrey History Centre - remember to check suitable sources are available before deciding on your topic.
Archive learning resources for adult learners
Interested in local or family history, but don't know how to start?
- Exploring Surrey's Past website
- Surrey Heritage staff led sessions at Surrey History Centre for local and family history related Adult Education classes (£)
- Surrey Heritage talks - please see list of talks available (£)
- Tours of Surrey History Centre and introductory talks (£)
- Sessions using pre-ordered documents under the supervision of an archivist (£)
Heritage Learning and Communities Officer
Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
firstname.lastname@example.org 01483 518737