Spelthorne was in Middlesex until 1965, and the records of the old county of Middlesex are in the London Metropolitan Archives. So if you live in Spelthorne, although all the advice given in our research guide "How to Trace the History of Your House" still applies, many of the records you need will be in the London Metropolitan Archives. Some sources are also held at Surrey History Centre.
What will I find at London Metropolitan Archives (LMA)?
- Tithe maps and apportionments; and Enclosure maps and awards.
- Parliamentary deposited plans and manorial records. Land tax 1767 to 1832 for parishes within the Spelthorne area. Poor rate books 1782 to 1861 for St Mary's Staines only.
- Books. Ordnance Survey maps, printed maps and manuscript maps. Some illustrations.
- Directories. (See LMA research guide 62: The directories of London and the home counties)
- Electoral registers for the county constituency of Middlesex 1832 to 1833, 1842 to 1843, 1861 to1862 (3.81 MID) and 1883 to 1885 (MR/PER/C). Overseers' returns of electors for the county constituency of Middlesex 1847 to1882 (MR/PEO). Electoral registers for the parliamentary division of Spelthorne 1918 to 1939 and for the parliamentary constituency of Spelthorne 1945 to 1965 (MR/PER/C). (See LMA research guide 10: Electoral registers at London Metropolitan Archives)
- Parish registers and Bishops' transcripts.
- Middlesex deeds registry 1709 to 1938 (See LMA research guide 38: The Middlesex Deeds Registry). Other title deeds including those for properties owned by the Greater London Council.
- Wills and probate records for the Diocese of London (including the Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex) 1362 to 1858. (See LMA research guide 6: Wills for London)
- The LMA does not hold copies of census returns for the Spelthorne area.
- Try searching the LMA collections catalogue.
- When you visit the LMA, try searching the computer catalogue.
What will I find at Surrey History Centre?
- Books and directories.
- Ordnance Survey maps, printed maps and manuscript maps.
- Electoral registers for the Spelthorne county constituency 1965 to 1970 and the Spelthorne borough constituency 1971 onwards.
- Microform copies of census returns for the Spelthorne area 1841 to 1901.
- The online family history sites Ancestry and FindMyPast contain census returns and electoral registers, and are free to use at Surrey libraries and Surrey History Centre.
- Copies of Spelthorne parish registers held at LMA, where available in microform.
- Some title deeds, sale particulars and illustrations.
- Back copies of newspapers, including the 'Middlesex Chronicle' and 'Staines and Egham News'.
- 19th Century Newspapers, British Newspaper Archive and Times Digital Archive are available free in all Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre.
Although the 1910 Finance Valuation Act books and maps are held at the National Archives, Surrey History Centre holds valuation forms for many individual properties in Spelthorne under reference 2411/-.