Spelthorne was in Middlesex until 1965, and the records of the county of Middlesex are in the London Metropolitan Archives. So, if you live in Spelthorne, although all the advice given in our research guide "How to Trace the History of Your House" still applies, many of the records you need will be in the London Metropolitan Archives. Some sources are also held at Surrey History Centre.
What will I find at London Metropolitan Archives?
- Tithe maps and apportionments; and Enclosure maps and awards.
- Parliamentary deposited plans and manorial records. Land tax 1767-1832 for parishes within the Spelthorne area. Poor rate books 1782-1861 for St Mary's Staines only.
- Books. Ordnance Survey maps, printed maps and manuscript maps. Some illustrations.
- Directories. (See LMA Information Leaflet 23: The directories of London and the home counties)
- Electoral registers for the county constituency of Middlesex 1832/3, 1842/3, 1861/2 (3.81 MID) and 1883-1885 (MR/PER/C). Overseers' returns of electors for the county constituency of Middlesex 1847-1882 (MR/PEO). Electoral registers for the parliamentary division of Spelthorne 1918-1939 and for the parliamentary constituency of Spelthorne 1945-1965 (MR/PER/C). (See LMA Information Leaflet 21: Electoral registers at London Metropolitan Archives)
- Parish registers and Bishops' transcripts.
- Middlesex deeds registry 1709-1938 (See LMA Information Leaflet 7: The Middlesex Deeds Registry). Other title deeds including those for properties owned by the Greater London Council.
- Wills and probate records for the Diocese of London (including the Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex) 1362-1858. (See LMA Information Leaflet 6: Wills in London Metropolitan Archives and elsewhere)
- The LMA does not hold copies of census returns for the Spelthorne area.
- Try searching A2A for material at the LMA.
- When you visit the LMA, try searching the computer catalogue.
What will I find at Surrey History Centre?
- Books and directories.
- Ordnance Survey maps, printed maps and manuscript maps.
- Electoral registers for the Spelthorne county constituency 1965-1970 and the Spelthorne borough constituency 1971 onwards.
- Microform copies of census returns for the Spelthorne area 1841-1901.
- Copies of Spelthorne parish registers held at LMA, where available in microform.
- Some title deeds, sale particulars and illustrations.
Although the 1910 Finance Valuation Act books and maps are held at the National Archives, Surrey History Centre holds valuation forms for many individual properties in Spelthorne under reference 2411/-.