Local newspapers contain valuable sources for family history, such as notices of births, marriages and deaths, obituaries and reports of funerals, accidents, crimes, court proceedings, coroners' inquests. For local history there are reports on schools, churches, houses, shops, businesses, events, sport and games, local shows and the proceedings of the local council.
Guide to what local newspaper titles may be available (back runs are usually on microfilm) in Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre.
- Banstead Herald
- Camberley News, Camberley Mail, Camberley News and Mail
- Caterham Free Press, Caterham and Purley Weekly Press and County Post
- Epsom and Ewell Advertiser
- Epsom and Ewell Herald
- Esher News and Mail
- Farnham Herald
- Godalming Times and Advertiser, Guildford Times and Advertiser, Guildford and Godalming Advertiser / Times and Advertiser
- Guildford Outlook
- Middlesex Chronicle
- The Post: Epsom, Ewell and Banstead
- Staines and Egham News
- Surrey Advertiser
- Surrey and Hants News
- Surrey Comet
- Surrey Herald: Chertsey, Addlestone and Byfleet edition (also Walton, Weybridge and Hersham edition Feb 1979-1999 at Elmbridge Museum)
- Surrey Mirror
- Sussex Agricultural Express (Incorporating the Surrey Standard)
- Windsor and Eton Express
- Woking News and Mail
What do I do next?
- Search the Surrey libraries catalogue for current holdings and locations of the newspapers listed above, including back runs, in Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre. Use the "Title" search.
- There is a handlist of titles in the Search Room at Surrey History Centre
- Always phone before visiting, to check availability and to find out if you need to make an appointment to use a microfilm reader.
- Please note that there are only short runs of some of the above titles.
- Please note that many runs are incomplete.
Where else could I try?
- British Library catalogue
- Local Museums
- British Newspapers 1710-1953 collection on the Find My Past website for individual subscribers (also available free in all Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre)
Other useful titles at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre holds a number of useful volumes of the Illustrated London News for years between 1843-1890.
- Surrey History Centre holds the Gentleman's Magazine from 1731-1842.
- 19th Century Newspapers, a searchable database of more than 2 million pages from national and regional newspapers, is available free in all Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre, and free at home to holders of Surrey Libraries cards. See online reference shelf.
- British Newspaper Archive is available free in all Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre. See online reference shelf.
- Times Digital Archive, a searchable database from 1785 to 2006, is available free in all Surrey Libraries and Surrey History Centre, and free at home to holders of Surrey Libraries cards. See online reference shelf.