Suitable for 3+ year olds
It's back! Spark a love of reading even in the most reluctant reader with the free online Winter Mini Challenge. Unlock rewards for reading and find fun activities on the dedicated children's website created by The Reading Agency.
What is the Winter Mini Challenge?
The Winter Mini Challenge is an online, bitesize version of The Reading Agency's annual Summer Reading Challenge. This summer, they teamed up with the Youth Sport Trust and public libraries to bring you Ready, Set, Read! – a Summer Reading Challenge that empowered hundreds of thousands of young people to read and play, keeping minds and bodies active over the summer break.
Following the success of Ready, Set, Read!, The Reading Agency are delighted to extend the theme into the Winter Mini Challenge. With the holidays approaching, now is the time to encourage your child to discover the joy of reading or to build on good reading habits!
It is easy to take part in the Winter Mini Challenge. Children simply read three books or more of their choice between 1 December 2023 and 19 February 2024 and add them to their online profile on the Winter Mini Challenge web page. Reaching their reading goal will unlock a limited-edition virtual badge and a special Winter Mini Challenge certificate to print off and keep.
Prize for every child reaching their goal
We encourage every child and responsible adult to visit their local library to pick up their books and start reading! Or if you prefer, you can also download eBooks, eAudiobooks and eComics, all reading counts. Once your child has reached their online goal, they can collect a prize in one of our libraries. Bring along their printed certificate or show it to a staff member or volunteer on a device like a mobile phone, and they can collect a prize (suitable for 3+ year olds, available in most of our libraries, and as long as stock lasts).
Please note that the following Community Partnered Library branches are not taking part in promoting the Winter Mini Challenge, and are therefore not offering a prize to children completing their goal: Bagshot, Bramley, Lingfield and Tattenhams.
More information on the Challenge can be found on our Surrey Libraries winter mini challenge web page.
More from community matters
- Help us showcase Surrey's beautiful landscape
- Your Fund Surrey Small Community Projects Funding
- Top 10 library events this February
- Don’t fall victim to scammers
- Keep informed with the In The Know scheme
- Our Libraries are Where It Happens!
- Multi million pound transformations for Surrey Libraries
- Surrey Libraries introduce biodegradable eco library cards
- Community Link Officers in Surrey
- Free bus travel in Surrey and across England
- Warm Welcome venues help over 16,000 people in Surrey
- Surrey Libraries Super Access comes to Horley
- Directory of Essential Services for every household in Surrey
- Banstead library introduces ‘magic table’ to help people with dementia
- Let’s all stand up to harassment
- Community Link Officers are making it happen across Surrey
- Trading Standards take a stand against romance fraud
- Planning a wedding or ceremony in 2024?
- LGBT+ History Month 2024
- Kickstart your career with free skills training
- Do you know how safe your electric blanket is?
- Surrey Community Lounge
- Summer work experience programme