Fire safety - student accommodation and shared houses

Houses and accommodation blocks which are shared by unrelated people, including student accommodation, are called 'houses of multiple occupation'.

Depending on the number of people sharing the accommodation and the height of the building, certain fire safety measures should be in place.


The responsibility for this lies with Housing Officers, working for your local borough or district council. Housing Officers work under the legislation in the Housing Act 2004 (CIEH).

In Surrey they work closely with Surrey Fire and Rescue Service's Business Fire Safety Officers to ensure the fire safety provision is appropriate.

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.