Upcoming changes at our community recycling centres
Changes will be taking place from 7 May and 3 June 2019. Please see or webpage: Changes at Surrey's Community Recycling Centres, for information.
You can apply online for a free permit to use a van, pickup or trailer to dispose of your household waste only. This does not include household construction waste (including home DIY) or business waste.
The permit allow up to 12 visits in one calendar year and it will be automatically renewed on your first visit in the new calendar year.
You will need to be a Surrey resident and only one permit will be issued per household.
- Can I visit any site in a van?
- Do I need a permit if I hire a van?
- Do I need a permits if I use a business van?
- Changing your details
- Renewing your permit
- Apply for a van, pickup and trailer permit online
- Common questions about the van, pickup and trailer permit
Can I visit any site in a van?
No - restrictions were introduced on 8 January 2018 on where vans, trailers and pick-ups would be accepted.
They are now only accepted at nine of our larger sites and will no longer be accepted at:
Do I need a permit if I hire a van?
Yes - you can apply for a permit for your hire van - select 'hire vehicle' in the 'type of vehicle' field.
- Permits for 'Hire vehicles' will only be valid for 7 days. You can apply for subsequent permits for a 'hire vehicle', but overall you will only be allocated 12 visits per year not per permit.
- If you are hiring a van you will need to bring proof of residency with you.
- When you arrive at the recycling centre you'll be asked for proof that it is a hire vehicle, so make sure you bring your permit, your hire documentation and proof of residency with you. Without this documentation you will be refused entry in to the site.
- If you have a permit for a personal vehicle and then need a permit for a hire vehicle, you can apply for it online. The hire permit will run along side your personal permit for 7 days, after this it will expire and your personal permit will continue.
Do I need a permit if I use a business van?
You can have a permit for a business van if it is your own personal van and you are bringing in your own household waste. You will not be allowed to dispose of business or construction waste. Your visits and the type of waste you bring will be recorded and monitored to prevent abuse of the scheme.
Duplicate details are not accepted in our system (e.g. vehicle registration numbers, addresses, email addresses). If you are using a company vehicle on your permit, other people will not be able to register the same vehicle in the future.
Changing your details
- Should any of your details change (ie address, email address, telephone number or vehicle registration number), you are required to update your permit details online via your Surrey account.
Note: You will need to accept our terms and conditions before any changes will be accepted.
- Your details will already be in our system, so do not try to create another permit as any new applications will fail.
Renewing your permit
You don't need to apply for a new permit every year. This will be automatically renewed on your first visit in the new calendar year.
Apply for a van, pickup and trailer permit online
To apply you will need:
- A valid email address (for receipt of your permit, which you need to access our sites).
- To create a Surrey account (using the link below). Once registered, please click on "Quick Links" to apply for your permit.
- Before you apply for the van, pickup and trailer permit, please read the common questions about the van, pickup and trailer permit.
Note: Before being able to apply for a van, pickup and trailer permit, you are required to read and accept our terms and conditions first.
For help or guidance with the application process, please see our Step by step guide to van, pickup and trailer permit application (PDF).
How these decisions were made can be found in the cabinet report dated 24 November 2015 Item 231/15.
Files available to download
- Step by step guide to van, pickup and trailer permit application (1.9 MB)
Learn how to apply for the van, pickup and trailer permit. This is a large file and should be downloaded using Wi-Fi.