What is Care Council?
The Surrey Care Council is made up of looked after children and care leavers aged 13 to 25 years old. The group meets on a monthly basis to talk about what they'd like to stop, start and change about being a young person in care. We also have a Care Council Juniors group for young people aged between 8-13 years old, and they also meet on a monthly basis.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Care Council and Care Council Juniors have gone virtual. Care Council is now taking place every two weeks via Zoom. The sessions are currently taking place on a Thursday between 4pm and 6pm. Care Council Juniors is taking place every three weeks on a Wednesday between 4pm and 5:30pm also on Zoom.
Why should you come to Care Council?
At Care Council, the young people get to:
- talk about things that are important to children and young people in care,
- raise action cards (something they want to stop or change about being looked after) which are taken to Corporate Parenting Board to be actioned and responded to,
- meet other young people in care who might have been in a similar position to you and make new friends,
- and also go on fun trips with the group, such as Thorpe Park, Go Karting, as well as a summer residential outing to the Calshot Activity Centre.
Being a part of Care Council means young people:
- can get involved in the UVP teams Recruit Crew scheme, meaning you will be able to sit on interview panels for new Surrey staff,
- can take issues to the Corporate Parenting Board (a group of senior managers who have the power to change things),
- be trained to help us deliver Total Respect training, which is a two day training course teaching frontline workers what it is like to be a looked after child or care leaver,
- and lastly, help us to make a real, positive difference to the care system.
Below is what young people have said about coming to our sessions:
"I love Care Council Juniors, I wish it happened everyday".
"I really enjoyed the session as always. I really like the staff".
"Care Council was good as always, and I want everyone to know they are not alone".
"This has been a really good session and I enjoyed it a lot. The highlight was when I was able to share my opinion and stick to it".