Extra support for your child at school

Page contents

We provide extra support through:

There are also ways for parents and carers to support their children at school.

Alternative learning for those with additional educational needs

Support is available to children and young people who are unable to attend school for a variety of reasons, including medical reasons or those who have been excluded. Support can be accessed through our Access to Education (A2E) and Surrey Online School (SOS) services.

Educational psychologists

As part of our educational psychology service, our qualified educational psychologists work with you and your child's teachers to help if your child (pre-school or school age) is having difficulties with:

  • their learning and general development, including reading, writing, maths and communication skills
  • behaviour and managing their emotions
  • making relationships with other children and adults.

If you are concerned about your child's progress, first speak with your school's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

Gypsy and Traveller support work

Our county-wide Traveller education support team helps Traveller families find places for their children at Surrey schools. The team also works to achieve the following for children and young people from Traveller families:

  • equal and unhindered access to education
  • development and learning opportunities along with improvements in their achievements
  • support and welcome from schools and other organisations through provision of resources to them
  • an end to discrimination
  • the recognition and valuing of the culture and lifestyle of Traveller communities.

If you are a Traveller parent living in Surrey you can contact us by email at rema@surreycc.gov.uk.

Specialist teachers for inclusive practice

Our team of qualified teachers and experienced Teaching Assistants work with any mainstream school to support the inclusion and achievement of children with additional educational needs to help ensure that they can get the most from their education. We are called the specialist teachers for inclusive practice (STIPs).

Your school will need to ask for support from our team, but can only do so with your permission as a parent or carer.

Speech and Language service

Our speech and language service help children and young people who have problems speaking and communicating.

If you are worried about your child's speech, language and communication skills, please talk to their class teacher or school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) about the next steps.

Physical and Sensory Support

Physical and Sensory Support (PSS), work with children and young people (0-25 years) with a physical disability, deafness, multi-sensory impairment (dual impairment of vision and hearing) or vision impairment and/or need augmentative or alternative communication to help them get the most out of their education. Our Post 16 team support young people from 16 years onwards in Further and Higher Education.

You can contact the home and schools 0-19 team by emailing pssbs@surreycc.gov.uk and the Further and Higher Education 16+ team by emailing pss.post@surreycc.gov.uk.

Additional needs and disability

Our Local Offer has lots of useful information for children and young people with additional needs, their families and the practitioners who help them. On it you will find helpful information and the details of support services in your area.

In this section

Did you find this information helpful?

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.